Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Avengers! A-f**ing-ssemble! I love how you transform into a giant green rage ****. This will be f***! No, you haven’t stumbled into Kervyn’s Avengers fan-fiction again. Instead, you have unnecessary censorship for Earth’s mightiest heroes.
- Yo Hollywood, I didn’t hear no bell! Tinsel Town has yet to throw the towel in on the boxing genre, with multiple movies on the way from the era of pugilism. The next such film will star Jake Gyllenhall and Forest Whitaker in Southpaw, which has already attract Antoine Fuqua for a directing position. Gyllenhaal is set to play Billy “The Great” Hope, a left-handed prizefighter who becomes the champ, before a life tragedy puts his career on hold and he has to rebuild himself to become a fighter that his young daughter respects. Wait, seriously? Whitaker will star as Titus ‘Tick’ Willis, a former fighter who was forced to retire after losing an eye and now trains amateur fighters.
- Speaking to MCU big cheese Kevin Feige, Joblo enquired as to the current plan of films planned between the Avengers sequels, to which Feige offered a cryptic clue that we might still see a Hulk movie eventually. And a Hawkeye one, but Hulk is rather more important so screw that guy:
“….part of the fun of ‘Age Of Ultron’ was saying, you’ve seen another ‘Iron Man’ adventure before, you see another ‘Thor’ adventure and another ‘Cap’ adventure, but we haven’t seen the Green Goliath again. So that was important in the characters you haven’t seen—Hulk being one of them and Hawkeye being one of them.
- Poster of the day: Godzilla, “In 1954 we awakened something”. Lot’s more fantastic fan posters here.
- You thought the opening link in Extras today was filthier than Nick’s bathroom? Well it’s a good thing that he isn’t in Russia, as the haters of Pussy Riot would have thrown his ass in jail a long time ago. Taking another massive leap closer to Stalin-era censorship, Russia will now crack down on any movies that feature profanity, most likely replacing such scenes with images of Vladimir Putin riding bare-chested through Crimea as he Judo-throws peace treaties.
- Over at Warner Bros, the studios there are trying to figure out how to make a super-powered alien all angsty and human. Over at Marvel, they’re figuring out how to make a space Raccoon fit into his concept art onesie as he walks around with a giant tree in Guardians of the Galaxy:
- What’s the difference between Fargo the movie and Fargo the TV series? Hell if I know, but this featurette will explain it for you:
- It’s been a while since we’ve seen any novels adapted to the big screen that didn’t involve a protagonist with a hidden ability/lineage/emotions as they went on an epic quest for love/romance/bagels. John Grisham’s legal thriller The Assosciate is getting adapted for the big screen, and will star Zac Effron as a Yale Law School grad who is blackmailed by criminals and forced to work at the world’s largest law firm. Hell, as far as blackmail schemes go, I’d love to be forced into one that includes a pension scheme and health insurance.
- Even if you own all of the various special editions for Lord of the Rings that have 25 different endings and a hidden sex scene between Sam and Frodo, one thing is still missing. Catapults:
- There’s no denying that Gravity is a film about human achievement and ingenuity in the face of impossible odds. But it sure wouldn’t hurt to have a Kryptonian in your corner some days, when things go wrong in space.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]