Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- If I ask “Who ya gonna call?” and you respond with “Ghostbusters!” then…. well, then actually you would be 100% correct most times. Unless that time is today, and you’re watching this catchy new music video – yes, music video – for Breaking Bad spinoff show Better Call Saul.
- So what does Batman do when he’s done vs’ing some supermen at the dawn of justice? His taxes, of course! Also, shoot people for money! Variety are reporting that Ben Affleck is set to star in upcoming action thriller The Accountant, which is set to be directed by Gavin O’Connor (Warrior). The film, which will see Affleck as “a mild-mannered accountant who moonlights as a lethal assassin”, has been stuck in development limbo for years now already, with everybody from Will Smith to Mel Gibson being attached to it in some form or another. With Affleck on board it looks like its finally going to happen though, as the Oscar winner wants to do it as “a nice change of pace” after Batman v Superman and before he gets into the director’s chair for the crime- drama Live By Night.
- Dear Hollywood, the success of Transformers movies to the contrary, we are not all idiots. So please stop using 30 year-old actors to play teenagers in movies. Also, stop doing other annoying stuff all included in Cracked’s list of 5 Unwritten Rules That Hollywood Needs To Stop Following.
- Poster of the Day: Mad Max 2
- Yes, the Angry Birds movie is still a real thing, and just to prove it, Sony have unveiled their full, star studded voice cast: Jason Sudeikis as Red, the head of the Flock; Josh Gad as speedy Chuck, Danny McBride as the volatile Bomb, Bill Hader as a pig, Maya Rudolph as Matilda, and Peter Dinklage as the legendary Mighty Eagle. Also joining them in unspecified roles are Kate McKinnon, Keegan-Michael Key, Tony Hale and Ike Barinholtz.
That’s a whole lot of very funny people all in one movie. Yeah, I still think its going to be lame anyway.
- Though I’m not a fan of the hipster hobo-chic look employed by Doctor Doom, I am quite interested in seeing what the new costumes for the Fantastic Four themselves will look like in Fox’s upcoming reboot of the superhero movie franchise. And according to star Michael B. Jordan, who plays Johnny Storm aka the Human Torch, the new suits “a little more snug”.
“It’s a new look. We are all in containment suits. The costume process definitely took some time to get in and out of that thing, especially since I was bulking up. It was a little more snug during filming. We got through it man. It was a process, but we did it. It was hard work.”
- I’m a self-confessed David Fincher fanboy who has loved everything the man has done (yes, even Alien 3) and watching his most recent film, Gone Girl, last Thursday (full review up next week) I was once again struck by his talent. But just what is it that Fincher does that makes him that good? Well, according to this really cool video essay, it’s actually what he doesn’t do.
- I was rather meh on magic-heist flick Now You See Me, but the film managed to conjure up enough box office dollars to warrant a sequel, and one that will be getting a true bit of magic. Michael Caine, who will be reprising his role as duped insurance magnate Arthur Tressler, has revealed a surprise addition to the cast in the form of Daniel Radcliffe as his son.
“There’s a sequel to Now You See Me and we’re shooting in London. I shoot in December, the whole of December in London, and my son is Harry Potter. I thought it’d be funny, me and Daniel Radcliffe as father and son.”
- Most of us are definitely not macroherpetophiles like Darryn, and hence don’t have the unrivaled… ahem… love for Godzilla that he does. As such, there’s a probably a lot that you don’t know about the King of the Monsters, which is something that can be remedied by this very informative infographic.
Click to enlarge.
- Take note, kids. This is how you do a link-bait article headline: Robert Downey Jr. wants Mel Gibson to direct Iron Man 4.
- Dear NBC, you need to bring back Knight Rider and make it like this!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: October 6, 2014