Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Just when you thought Jeff Goldblum could not possibly get more awesome, he goes and does this utterly brilliant and hilarious ad for General Electric selling lightbulbs like only Jeff Goldblum can!
- Although he may just have finished writing the script, looks you’re going to have to settle for a Tommy Wirkola-less sequel to Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. The director revealed that he will not be returning to helm the sequel, but will still be staying on as writer and producer. As to why Wirkola has exited the director’s chair, he said ” I have been lately attached to a few more things, it’s just a matter of time and priorities. I did Dead Snow 1, then Hansel & Gretel 1, and then Dead Snow 2. I want to do something a little bit different now and not just do sequels.”
- I’m sorry, The Raid, Drunken Master 2, Fist of Legend and all the other martial arts movie classics, but this is in fact the greatest movie fight scene of all time!
- Poster of the day: Edge of Tomorrow
- Pro-tip for any of my fellow movie press people: If you’re going to interview the stars of a new movie, make you actually watch the movie first.
- Looks like that “XXL ” in Magic Mike XXL may actually refer to a really big c….ast. Some new info for the male stripper sequel has sprung up including the news that joining the returning cast of Channing Tatum and the boys (minus one Matthew McConaughey unfortunately) in brand new roles will be Elizabeth Banks (The Hunger Games, Pitch Perfect), Donald Glover (Community), Amber Heard (Machete Kills, Zombieland), Andie MacDowell (Groundhog Day, Footloose), Jada Pinkett Smith (Gotham, The Nutty Professor) and Michael Strahan (Live with Kelly and Michael).
Along with the enlarged cast, comes a new synopsis for the film:
Picking up the story three years after Mike bowed out of the stripper life at the top of his game, “Magic Mike XXL” finds the remaining Kings of Tampa likewise ready to throw in the towel. But they want to do it their way: burning down the house in one last blow-out performance in Myrtle Beach, and with legendary headliner Magic Mike sharing the spotlight with them. On the road to their final show, with whistle stops in Jacksonville and Savannah to renew old acquaintances and make new friends, Mike and the guys learn some new moves and shake off the past in surprising ways.
- A while back we brought you the news that 17-year old chart topping songstress Lorde had been picked to curate the soundtrack for the upcoming The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1, and now she’s released the first single from titled Yellow Flicker Beat. And I’ll be damned if I’m not sitting here bobbing my head as I listen to it for like the 5th time.
- Forget about Olympus and London, looks like another director has fallen! Since Antoine Fuqua was too busy in the Equalizing business with Denzel Washington, he was unable to return to the director’s chair for London Has Fallen, the upcoming sequel to last year’s Olympus Has Fallen. Soon after his departure, Charlie Countryman helmer Fredrik Bond was tapped as his replacement. But now he has also fallen out of the picture, just a few weeks away from the start of shooting due to “creative differences” and the lack of prep time he had.
Enter Scandinavian director Babak Nafaji, who helmed the Snabba Cash sequel Easy Money II: Hard to Kill, who has now signed on to replace Bond. Who replaced Fuqua. So anybody willing to place a bet on how long he’s going to stay around?
- Since Guillermo Del Toro insists on taking on just about every project that crosses his desk, there’s no telling when or even if we’ll ever see his Justice League Dark movie ever come to life. So to ease the pain of that bit of harsh reality, here’s a Justice League Dark fan film that actually is not too bad.
Constantine and Zatanna embark on a journey in an attempt to release her father from hell. Along the way, they meet a seedy character (Deadman) who tries to stop them.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: September 30, 2014