It’s not like they could be any more miserable, AMIRITE? Ha! I slay myself! One of the highlight movies of last year despite the fact that it had choppier editing than Chop chop 4: The choppening as scored by Chopin. Still, Tom Hooper looks set to receive a few Oscars for his musical masterpiece, which will be hitting retail shelves soon.
Here’s what you can expect to see on the assorted discs when they arrive.
First off, here’s the synopsis of the film, in case you missed out on it. I’ve taken the LIBERTY of removing all the PR for y’all. Cause you guys are rad.
Academy Award® winner Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway star in this critically acclaimed adaptation of the epic musical phenomenon. Set against the backdrop of 19th-century France, Les Miserables tells the story of ex-prisoner Jean Valjean (Jackman), hunted for decades by the ruthless policeman Javert (Crowe), after he breaks parole. When Valjean agrees to care for factory worker Fantine’s (Hathaway) young daughter, Cosette, their lives change forever. This enthralling story is a timeless testament to the survival of the human spirit and “an unforgettable experience” (Richard Roeper, RichardRoeper.com).
Buying the film on either Standard Definition (MY EYES!) or Blu-Ray will net you the following extra features according to Coming Soon:
- The Stars of Les Miserables: Director Tom Hooper talks about casting the iconic characters, and the actors discuss why it was important to them to be a part of this groundbreaking version of Les Miserables.
- Creating the Perfect Paris: Production designer Eve Stewart created a massive Paris set featuring real cobblestones and running water. Take an intricate look into the detailed recreation of these Paris streets that no longer exist in today’s world.
- The Original Masterwork: Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables: This mini-documentary takes a look at the historical backdrop and universal themes of Hugo’s classic, and how the filmmakers mined the novel to enrich the look and feel of the film.
- Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper
While Blu-Ray owners get some more exclusive content, thanks to having a few dozen extra gigabytes of storage space on that medium:
- Les Miserables Singing Live: The star-studded cast and production team discuss how the daunting challenge of singing live rather than lip-syncing to pre-recorded tracks ultimately gave them the creative freedom to deliver nuanced, emotionally powerful performances.
- Battle at the Barricade: Director Tom Hooper wanted the dramatic building of the barricade to be as visceral and intense as possible, so he had his actors build it in real time, literally hurling furniture out of windows to construct an actual barricade. This featurette takes an in-depth look at the creation and filming of all the action on this remarkable set.
- The West End Connection: Meet the “godfather” of the original stage production of Les Miserables, renowned West End producer Cameron Mackintosh, who was deeply involved in the filming, as well as former Les Miserables, theatrical stars who were thrilled to appear in supporting roles in the current film.
- Les Miserables on Location: Filming rather than staging Les Miserables presents the opportunity to shoot in real world locations: a massive dry dock on the coast of England, a beautiful underground chapel in the heart of London and the ancient city of Winchester. Members of the cast and crew talk about what it was like to find and work in these incredible locations.
It’s out at the end of March, in case you need to find a birthday present for your musical loving pals.