[Update: The firmware is now reported as being live and available for download]
Sony have spilled the beans on the upcoming Playstation 3 version 3.70 system software update and say that it will be â€œavailable soonâ€. It brings with it some nifty new features such as automatic trophy sync, of which the PS3’s lack thereof was always confusing to me.
Take a look at what the changes include, after the jump.
The major updates that are seen consist of the already mentioned trophy sync as well as auto online game saves which lets you choose if you want a game to upload game saves automatically on Playstation Plus.
A new recommend feature will allow you to, well, recommend stuff to your friends and then a bunch of additions have been made to the movie/video side of things, full info below.
The information and images below have been taken directly from the US Playstation Blog’s official post:
Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).
To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.
- A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
- Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.
A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.
Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.
- You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
- A folder labeled â€œMy Channelsâ€ within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
- Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB
Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3:
- 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
- DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
- 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.
The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here. Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.
Source: US Playstation Blog
Last Updated: August 10, 2011