Discounting moderates, when it comes to Star Citizen, there are two camps. The first is led by acolytes of the church of Chris Roberts who believe the developer and his team will make good on the promises for the unbelievably ambitious space sim. The other side? They’re convinced that Star Citizen is a scam; a game that will never see the light of day as it gets eaten up by feature creep and lost in a vortex of misappropriated funds.
Next week, Roberts’ Cloud Imperium Games is going to try turn those in the latter camp, in to the former – by offering up free access to the games (as it stands right now) for a limited time. By creating an account at Roberts Space Industries, you can gain access to the latest Free Fly event next week. Here’s what it includes:
- Star Citizen Alpha 2.1.2 – Also known as Crusader or the “mini-PU,” this is the nucleus of the world we’re building! Featuring multiple space stations and environments, scripted missions, places to explore and more, Alpha 2.1.2 is your first look at a much larger universe!
- Arena Commander – Arena Commander is a ‘game within a game’ that we’ve used to develop our flight mechanics and ship combat balance. Take on human opponents or an AI swarm in single seat fighter.
- Social Module – Interact with other players while you explore our first landing zone, ArcCorp! The Social Module is intended as a starting point for our world building,
It gives you access to three distinct parts of the entire Star Citizen experience, and is the first “free Fly” event to open up the Crusader. If you’re sceptical, or perhaps on the fence about Star Citizen, this could be what changes your mind.
Also make sure you meet the game’s minimum system specs:
- Windows 7 (64 bit) – Service Pack 1, Windows 8 (64 bit)
- DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
- Quad core CPU
- 8GB Memory
Last Updated: February 1, 2016