If you played a lot of games back when the First Person shooter revolution first happened through the 90’s – when games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and the numerous clones, me-too’s and copies made their appearance, it’s likely you played one of Apogee’s finest; the tongue-in-cheek Rise of the Triad. In a bit of a surprise (although not really – they said as much back in 2009..but I’d forgotten) announcement at Quakecon, Apogee (later 3D Realms, and then later still an offshoot of 3D Realms) said it would be giving 1995’s Rise of the Triad the reboot treatment.
With a shiny Unreal Engine 3 makeover, the game will be developed by Duke Nukem 3D:Reloaded developer Interceptor Entertainment. Whether it’ll actually be good – or just play on gamer’s nostalgia (Hello, Duke Nukem Forever!) remains to be seen – but here are some details about the remake.
“We were seeking a strong, independent, hard-working development partner to herald the eagerly-anticipated return of ‘Rise of the Triad’,” said Terry Nagy, co-founder and CCO of Apogee. “We have indeed found that partner in Interceptor Entertainment.”
“Apogee has given us a great opportunity with Rise of the Triad,” said Interceptor’s Frederik Schreiber. “We are all about fast-paced action and this was simply a perfect match for us as fans of old school shooters.”
- Step into the shoes of the H.U.N.T. (High-Risk United Nations Taskforce) with five unique characters, each with different play styles.
- Blast through over 20 of levels of explosive single-player action.
- Unique multiplayer maps bring back all the fun and excitement of classic ROTT.
- The full arsenal of over-the top weapons is back, including the Flamewall, Firebomb, Split Missile, Drunk Missile and, of course, the Excalibat!
- The maniacal modes return, too, with God mode, Elasto mode, Mercury mode, Shrooms mode and everyone’s favorite, Dog mode!
- Build your own levels, mods and share them with Valve’s Steamworks.
- Offline single-player and multiplayer allows for instant action.
- Find tons of secrets, collectables, special events and hidden areas to explore.
- Get more than 100 achievements to add to your score, which is tracked on our worldwide leaderboard and stat-tracking system.
- ROTT is bloodier and more ludicrous than ever, with full character and enemy dismemberment.
- The iconic original soundtrack has been completely re-forged in the fires of heavy metal!
- Nostalgia abounds with the option to play with all the original sounds and music.
- Built on fully-licensed Unreal Engine 3 technology, ROTT will run on low-end PCs and push high-end PCs to their limits.
I actually had tons of fun playing through ROTT in my misspent youth; that was before I’d grown bored of the first-person shooter genre the first time around – but there was always something about the game’s over-the-top ridiculousness that put a smile on my face. Maybe it will again.
Last Updated: August 3, 2012