What makes a really great video game quote? I like to think that it’s far more complicated than just a witty collection of words. There are so many facets that go into finding a moment of speech worth preserving, remembering for all eternity. There are the people who give audio life to those words, their delivery, timing and the quality of how they say what’s on a script before them.
That’s my personal criteria for the feature that I’ve been running, as even the most mundane of words can sound like magic when they’re done justice. On with the show! Here’s this week’s edition, in no particular order whatsoever!
- Metal Gear Solid 4 – I am lightning. I am the rain transformed.
- Portal 2 – I made it all up. Surprise!
- Dead Rising – I’ve covered wars you know.
- Mario Kart – I’m Wario! I’m gonna win!
- The Elder Scrolls V: SKyrim – What is better? To be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 – The healthy human mind doesn’t wake up in the morning thinking this is it’s last day on Earth.
- Batman: Arkham Origins – I am the reason criminals breathe easier when the sun rises.
- Far Cry 2 – You can’t break a man the way you’d break a dog or a horse. The harder you beat a man, the taller he stands.
- Mass Effect 3 – Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honour matters. The silence is your answer.
- Red Dead Redemption – Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives, ain’t nothing fair.
- Final Fantasy X-2 – Only a jackass can change the world.
- Baldur’s Gate 2 – Once my thirst for power was everything, and now I hunger only for revenger. And I! Will! Have it!
- Unreal Tournament – First blood!
- Spec Ops: The Line – I’ve saved many lives, Captain. I’ve ended even more.
- Borderlands 2 – STAIRS?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
- System Shock 2 – Look at you…hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, huffing and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – You smell wonderful at this funeral.
- Age of Empires – Wolololo
- Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure – WRRRYYYY!
- Titanfall 2 – Trust me.
Big thanks to everyone for some of the submissions that made it through. I’m genuinely grabbing what I can, if I can find it. Which is proving to be plenty challenging so far. Keep on chucking ideas at me! If you missed parts 1 and 2 of this feature, then click the links for a flashback.
Last Updated: October 19, 2017