The gamer anger targeted towards Mass Effect 3 is showing no sign of dying down and the comments are still coming in thick and fast on our original article about the petition to have the ending changed (spoilers in the comments)
But now the anger has taken an unexpected turn for the awesome, instead of just whining on the Internet about their grievances some of the people behind the petition have decided to start a donation drive to keep the attention flowing on this topic.
But it’s not what you think, they aren’t raising donations to buy a better ending or fund their group or anything like that, no they are actually raising funds for Childs Play. A gaming related charity that helps children in need.
I received an email letting me know all of this and that they had already raised an incredible $12 000, which is mind blowing.
In their own words
We would like to dispel the perception that we are angry or entitled. We simply wish to express our hope that there could be a different direction for a series we have all grown to love.
And that hope is growing, at the time of writing they have raised $25 629.29 in donations which is possibly the most impressive fan argument I’ve ever seen on the Internet.
Come on Bioware, surely this is enough to convince you to release a FREE DLC ending pack and finish the story in a manner it deserved.
If you want to help out by donating or simply by commenting on the pledge page then click here else comment on this article, share it and help get the word out.
A Petition for Alternate Endings to the Mass Effect Trilogy
We, the undersigned, respectfully request the consideration of the following petition.
* Mass Effect is an interactive video game providing a detailed framework within which the player may create a unique story
* A major concept of the Mass Effect games is that your choices significantly affect the outcome of the story
* Another major concept of the Mass Effect games is success in the face of seemingly impossible odds
* That it is the right of the writers and developers of the Mass Effect series to end that series however they see fit
However, we also believe that the currently available endings to the series:
* Do not provide the wide range of possible outcomes that we have come to expect from a Mass Effect game
* Do not provide a sense of succeeding against impossible odds
* Do not provide a sense of closure with regard to the universe and characters we have become attached to
* Do not provide an explanation of events up to the ending which maintains consistency with the overall story
We therefore respectfully request additional endings be added to the game which provide:
* A more complete explanation of the story events
* An explaination of the outcome of the decisions made, especially with regard to the planets, races, and companions detailed throughout the series
* A heroic ending which provides a better sense of accomplishment
To this end, we donate to the "Retake Mass Effect 3" Child’s Play Charity drive in lieu of our signature to this petition, in order to establish our sincerity, our love for these games, and for the Mass Effect universe.
We thank you for your consideration.
Last Updated: March 14, 2012