Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- When it comes to Batman v Superman: Horny for Justin Bieber*, glimpses of the Dark Knight have thus far been very, well, dark. But thanks to some leaked unedited promo shots, apparently used by this poster we saw last week, we now have a much clearer look at Ben Affleck in costume.
- Are you a fan of Revenge? No I don’t mean you like to get even with people who wronged you in the most cruel ways. I’m talking about Revenge, the ABC drama series that has kept my wife hooked for the last four seasons. And which will not be doing that for any more seasons as the show has now been cancelled. Based on how the series has been wrapping up all the major plot points lately, this was probably not expected. Exec producer Sunil Nayar said that “this will be the end of the story” and that the finale set to air on on May 10 will “hit exactly the mark it [needs] to to end.”
- And the cancellations just keep on coming, as SyFy’s Helix has now also been given the chop after two uneven seasons. I’ve never watched the show, but I have plenty of friends that did, and based on their comments regarding the show’s unpredictable quality, this shouldn’t come as the biggest of surprises.
- Poster of the day: Taxi Driver
- So Ryan Phillipe got a whole lot of fans all worked up last night (which is a probably a sentence that hasn’t been written in years). The actor revealed on the Howard Stern show that “Marvel is interested in talking about a Netflix series, possibly. The Daredevil series is great.” And since all the major characters in Marvel’s other Netflix series are cast already and it’s too early for Daredevil season two, many just immediately thought that this meant that Phillipe would be playing Iron Fist. But alas/luckily, its too early for any celebrations/internet hatred as the actor later clarified on Twitter that “I have no real marvel news other than an upcoming meeting. Sorry to disappoint fans thought there was more to it. there is no story there.” Ryan Phillipe is such a tease.
- Many people have weighed in thus far on what Jarod Leto’s Joker looks like (even if that may not actually be what he looks like), but we’ve yet to hear from the man with the most experience in this whole Joker business: Jack Nicholson.
- Are you bummed that we haven’t seen more footage for Fantastic Four? Well, then just imagine how the cast feel. It turns out that they’ve only ever seen the same amount of finished footage that we have.
- We’ve heard a lot about Hollywood’s unfair treatment of women filmmakers, but exactly what are these stuck-in-their-ways misogynists saying? Well, thanks to an incredible new website simply titled “Shit People Say To Women Directors”, which is documenting actual statements directly from these filmmakers, we now know. And it’s simply ridiculous. Here are a few of my “faves”:
- As if the Fast & Furious franchise didn’t already take enough of your money with the movies, now they’re probably going to get even more from you to go check out this cool amusement park ride.
- Guess who’s baaaaaaack? It appears that a important character from the first film will be returning for Jurassic World and no it’s not Samuel L. Jackson (who you all probably forgot was actually in the first film). Yes, it’s actually the T-Rex, everybody’s favourite lawyer munching, car flipping dino! Director Colin Treverrow explained what the original kingpin of the franchise is doing in this movie again:
“The T. Rex in this movie is the same T. Rex from JURASSIC PARK. She’s been on the island for 22 years. She’s still alive. She’s a little older, and she’s angry… All of these animals to me are as important in the cast as the humans. It’s been fascinating to find kinds of behavior because they go through such an evolution over the course of the movie. If people see this movie and aren’t as blown away by these images as I am, I’ll be disappointed.”
- Jeremy Renner’s Hawkeye has a brilliant line in Avengers: Age of Ultron that perfectly sums the craziness of a guy with a bow and arrow fighting alongside gods, supersoldiers, geniuses and monsters. But despite that, he would like you to know that he has special abilities too – just not the ones you may think of – and he’d like to tell you about them in this masterful song sung to the tune of Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud”.
*not the real title
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 30, 2015