Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- The trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens has officially become the most watched trailer of all time, meaning that just about everybody has seen it at least once, right? Well, not everybody. There’s one notable person who has yet to see it: George Lucas. The Star Wars creator reportedly refuses to watch the teaser, saying that he will instead wait for the full movie to see if JJ Abrams and co have managed to salvage the franchise that he nearly green-screen-humped to death. FYI: That last bit may be more my opinion than Lucas’. Here’s Lucas’ full quote:
“I don’t know anything about it. I haven’t seen it yet… Because it’s not in the movie theater. I like going to the movies and watching the whole thing there. I plan to see it when it’s released.”
- But what if George Lucas were to watch the trailer though? How would he and his Force ghost best bro Anakin react?
- So did any of you catch the first episode of new fantasy adventure series The Librarians on Universal Channel last night? I don’t know that local viewing numbers were, but when the show debbuted on US network TNT the night before, it pulled the biggest ratings of any new series debut this year! The show is a spinoff of a made-for-TV movie starring Noah Wyle as a librarian who must safeguard the supernatural artifacts stored underneath the Metropolitan Library, so it probably had a built-in audience which helps, but it’s still impressive. And if you’re looking for yet another reason to check it out, you do it to see local actress Lesley Anne Brandt doing her thing in Hollywood now.
- Filming officially began on James Bond’s next adventure, SPECTRE, on Monday, and we already have our first pic from the set. Okay, so it shows us virtually nothing, but it’s A NEW JAMES BOND MOVIE so please excuse me as my raging fanboyism kicks in.
- Poster of the day: Cronos
- If somebody could just get me this Captain America: The Winter Soldier hoodie for Christmas, that would be great.
- So apparently Marvel has had a meeting with Al Pacino about a role in something, after the veteran actor recently declared his love for Guardians of the Galaxy and his interest in working with the comic book movie studio. The Oscar winner wouldn’t say just what the talks were about or even how serious they were though, but frankly, anything would be better than all the stinkers he’s been putting out over the last few years. I’m sure that if Marvel were to cast him in something, all the young kids of today would be like “Why is Marvel hiring that bad actor who was rapping about donuts in that Adam Sandler movie?”
- Are you a fan of NBC’s Constantine? If you are, you’re probably more than a little worried that you may not get to see the show truly blossom, as inconsistent ratings has left it with its neck on the chopping block. If Constantine were to get axed though – and I really hope it doesn’t – at least we’ll still have really cool fanfilms like this to tide us over.
- Had a rough day today? Here’s something that should put a smile on your face: Paramount are campaigning for Michael Bay’s Transformers: Age of Extinction to get nominated for the Best Picture and Best Director categories at the Oscars. I can’t even type that without breaking out in raucous, spittle flying, air-gasping laughter.
- While I was pleasantly surprised at the trailer for Terminator Genisys – the rumoured plot details had me very worried, the trailer helped to overcome those fears – I still felt like there was something missing. I couldn’t quite place my finger on it. Was it the lack of spelling like a sane human being? Maybe it was not seeing a more spritely Arnold in the role? But then it struck me. What that trailer was so desperately missing was Brett and Jermaine from Flight of the Conchords, and their greatest song ever: “The Humans Are Dead!”
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]ies.co.za.
Last Updated: December 9, 2014