Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Did you know Chuck Norris is actually the only person in existence to actually have birthdays? The rest of us just have Thank-you-Chuck-for-allowing-me-to-live-another-year-days! So I guess that means it’s time to (belatedly) celebrate the only birthday that counts then! Yes, Nick’s ginger spirit animal and current ruler of the universe celebrated his 75th birthday yesterday. And to commemorate this august occasion, here’s a supercut of him kicking people.
Man, nobody can kick people quite like Chuck Norris.
- Sleepy Hollow was the breakout TV show of 2013 in its first season, but it has really languished in its sophomore showing, hemorrhaging ratings irrespective of what new dramatic twists the show brought up. Fox tried to pull people back by cutting back on serialized storylines and doing standalone episodes – widely considered a misguided attempt by many – and it still didn’t work. And now, as the show’s 3rd season renewal is up in the air, it’s been dealt another blow as showrunner Mark Goffman has exited the production with no replacement in sight.
- Poster of the day: The Divergent Series: Insurgent
- Why Yoda is the most useless character in Star Wars, Pajiba would like to tell you.
- Last week, Darryn posted on his Facebook page about the new Avengers: Age of Ultron Iron Man Hulkbuster 1/16 scale figure from Marvel. Pffffttt. To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee: “That’s not a Hulbuster… THIS IS A HULKBUSTER!“
Yes, somebody built a life-sized Hulkbuster statue worth $21, 500! No, I don’t know why. Yes, I must have it also, and just realized that Darryn doesn’t really need two kidneys.
- Office Space is a cult classic movie for very valid reasons. It’s inspired so many other movies/shoes, it’s eternally quotable and boasts really memorable characters like Michael Bolton. No, not the singer. The character played by David Herman, who detests the fact that he shares the same name as the singer. But now, proving that he’s a great sport, Micheal Bolton – the actual singer, this time – has teamed up with Funny Or Die, to do this hilarious sketch where he actually plays Michael Bolton!
- Here’s an intriguing rumour. According to grapevine experts over at Latino Review, the name they keep hearing being mentioned as being a possibility to play Green Lantern Hal Jordan in the upcoming Justice League movie is Chris Pine.
HOT RUMOR! #GREENLANTERN UPDATE! The name I keep hearing & floating around, is Chris Pine for Hal Jordan. Yes, Captain Kirk. Again, this is still just a RUMOR hence UNCONFIRMED. Been hunting this one for a while so the search is still ongoing. How do you guys feel about it, IF again a big IF, it is indeed true? #HalJordan #JUSTICELEAGUE #DC #DCCU #batmanvsuperman #Warners
I have to admit, while I would have liked to see one of the other Lanterns like Kyle Rayner or John Stewart rather getting a go, I am definitely not averse to Pine as Jordan. He sure as hell looks the part.
- Are you artistic? Do you like anime? Ever thought of become an anime artist in Japan? Well, don’t! Unless you like working under what is awfully close to sweat shop conditions, that is, then by all means go ahead. Just make sure you read this eye-opening interview with an American animator who currently works for an anime studio over in Japan.
- If you’re a local Game of Thrones fanatic who is not a filthy pirate (Aarrr!) then here’s some great news: HBO announced last night that for the first time ever, the new season of GoT will be silmucast around the world. Meaning an episode plays everywhere at exactly the same time. And that includes South Africa, as DSTV have revealed that the season premier episode will air on the morning of Monday, 13 April at 03:00 to coincide with the Sunday night 21:00 screening in US time, and subsequent episodes will all follow suit.
And before you get worried that you’re going to have to sacrifice your precious Zzzzz’s now just to see what crazy antics Tyrion and co are up to this week, the same episodes will be rebroadcast on the following Thursdays as 21:00.
- Ron Howard has found the villain for his next Dan Brown adaptation, and this time it won’t be Tom Hanks’ hairstylist! No, Ben Foster has been cast to play the baddie in Inferno, Howard and Hanks’ follow-up to Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, which will see Hanks reprise his role as arcane symbologist Robert Langdon. Foster will play “a genius scientist who is obsessed with Inferno and has also dreamed up a plot to solve the world’s overpopulation problem by releasing a virus”, who in the novel is named Bertrand Zobrist. Foster will be joining the recently revealed supporting cast of Felicity Jones, Omar Sy, Sidse Babett Knudsen, and Irrfan Khan.
- So let’s see: Handsome billionaire bachelor, misunderstood loner, has a traumatic past, beats up people with all kinds of utensils, has particular tastes that involve leather and often whips. Christian Grey? No, I’m of course talking about Bruce Wayne aka Batman. But that’s clearly an easy mistake to make.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: March 11, 2015