Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Because I’m such a swell guy, we’re kicking off today with not one, but two new behind the scenes FX reels for Avengers: Age of Ultron, because everybody needs to see how the Hulk was made. And no, it doesn’t involve a daddy Hulk and a mommy Hulk.
- Keeping things Marvel, it looks like the studio is going for some serious directing clout as they are apparently courting Oscar nominated Selma director Ava DuVernay to helm one of their “diverse” movies. That would mean either Black Panther or Captain Marvel, which Marvel have insisted will be directed by a black person and woman respectively, due to their subject matter. It has been rumoured for a while that Angelina Jolie may be in the mix to direct Captain Marvel, so DuVernay getting Black Panther would make sense. Now if only Marvel could actually get some female toys!
- Poster of the Day: Mad Max: Fury Road (of course!)
- Speaking of Mad Max, NBC have failed to listen to Tina Turner’s advice on how we don’t need another Heroes, which is why we’re getting Heroes Reborn. The first pics from the new 13-episode event series have now dropped giving us a look at a familiar face, as well two new characters played by Zachary Levi and Kiki Sukezane.
- If hormonal 12-year old me could travel forward in time, he would probably slap me with a brick for what I’m about to write: Game of Thrones, as good as the show is, has a serious problem when it comes to parading around naked women for no reason. Just ask director Neil Marshall (The Descent, Centurion), who helmed some of the show’s greatest episodes.
“It was pretty surreal. I’ve not done anything like that in my films before. The weirdest part was when you have one of the executive producers leaning over your shoulders going, ‘You can go full frontal, you know! This is television, you can do whatever you want. And do it. I urge you to do it’…This particular exec took me to the side and said ‘I represent the pervert side of the audience. Everybody else is on the serious drama side. I represent the perv side of the audience. And I’m saying I want full frontal nudity in this scene. So go ahead and do it.’”
- This Geek Nerd Clock may just be the greatest thing ever. Ever.
- Furious 7‘s stunts just totally ignore the laws of physics and common sense. We all know this and love them anyway. But you know what? Maybe they should have gone for something a bit more realistic.
- Paul Greengrass (The Bourne franchise, Captain Phillips) is making a Jimi Hendrix movie. No, not this Jimi Hendrix movie. Whereas that movie was an unofficial biopic and hence featured none of Hendrix’s actual music, Greengrass and Legendary Pictures have reached an agreement with the Hendrix estate after four years of negotiation that will see them given full authorization to use famous guitarist’s work. Apparently an original completed script from Max Borenstein (Godzilla) was one of the reasons why it took so long for the Hendrix scribe to give their blessing – they weren’t ready to commit to that vision at the time. Since then though, Scott Silver (8 Mile, The Fighter) has been tapped to develop a new script that will be produced with the Hendrix estate’s cooperation.
- Wow, Owen Wilson. Wow.
- Due to some silly scheduling SNAFU I missed out on seeing Pitch Perfect 2, which I was actually looking forward to since I really enjoyed the first film (yes, you read that right!). However, after seeing this clip, I’ve found my excitement waning a bit. Brittany Snow was on Ellen to promote the movie, and decided to rap a Coolio song. No, I don’t know why either. I mean, we know Anna Kendrick can rap, but that’s because she’s just all kinds of awesome. This? Not so much.
- And since I’ve just been honest about how much I dug Pitch Perfect, why don’t we all just get honest about the movie as a whole.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: May 13, 2015