Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Everybody thinks that Sherlock Holmes is such a great detective because of his brilliant deductions. Oops, did I say deductions? I mean wild, outlandish guesses for stuff that actually have very mundane reasons, as Peter Holmes (no relation) hilariously points out.
- Bit of sad news as Malik Bendjelloul, the Oscar winning filmmaker behind the brilliant documentary Searching for Sugar Man, has passed away at the age of 36. No cause of death has been announced yet, but according to police, no foul play is suspected in the death of the Swedish director.
- And it’s official: Star Trek Into Darkness screenwriter Roberto Orci will be directing Star Trek 3. That’s right, a guy who is mainly known for writing the Transformers movies and has never directed a thing in his life, will be at the helm of a $250 million blockbuster. Yep, no pitfalls there.
- Poster of the day:
- In other news, Ridley Scott is apparently eyeing Matt Damon’s little green man, and not in a dirty way. The Prometheus helmer is in talks to direct The Martian, a new sci-fi thriller that sees Damon as an astronaut who gets abandoned alone on the surface of Mars after the rest of his crew thinks he’s dead and leaves the planet due to a massive sandstorm that has knocked out their communication. So think All is Lost, only a lot drier.
- Forget things like “Are we alone in the universe?” and “What is the meaning of life?”, we need everybody to get cracking on the 24 most important unanswered questions in humanity’s existence!
- And because why not, that’s why, here’s a smooth RnB rendition of the theme song to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
- It feels like Terry Gilliam’s The Man Who Killed Don Quixote has been in development since I was a fetus. The much beleaguered film has stalled and been restarted more times than an Opel Kadett, and has seen cast members come and go. One such person was Robert Duvall, who pulled out of the titular role in the production not too long ago, but it looks like Gilliam may have already found his replacement in fellow veteran actor John Hurt. What’s more, according to Hurt, the film is looking to start filming later in the year. Or next year. Or 2048. Who can really tell with this movie?
- This is a picture of Macaulay Culkin wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Ryan Gosling wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Macaulay Culkin. It’s Culkinception!
- So did you check out that amazing pic of Ben Affleck in the new Batsuit from Batman VS Superman? That ‘s a pretty badass looking Batman, right? Wait… Did I say “badass”? I meant sad. Such a very, very sad Batman.
- Are a huge fan of ABC’s Once Upon a Time? Have you seen Disney’s Frozen over and over again and just can’t “Let it go”? Well, then this bit of news will be certain to tickle your fancy, as well as any other parts of your body you may prefer. A promo for the fantasy TV series – which sees a number of fairy tale characters being plucked from their fairy tale world to live in ours – shows that a certain, currently very popular ice princess will soon be popping into the town of Storybrooke.
- I’m only watching X-Men: Days of Future Past tomorrow, and until such time (and maybe even beyond), X-Men: First Class will still remain my favourite of all the X-Men movies. Matthew Vaughn’s swinging 60’s superhero flick had it all: Superb performances, an infectious tone, thrilling set pieces, fan favourite characters and dramatic moments. And also, according to this latest funny clip from the folks at CinemaSins, a bunch of stuff wrong with it.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: May 14, 2014