Pokémon of the legendary variety are awesome. You take a regular Pokémon, put it side by side next to a mythical Pokémon and you’ll see that it’s like comparing a 1960s Volkswagen Beetle to a modern-day Ferrari Enzo. Better stats, better skills, better abilities and the most important stuff of all: Bragging rights. Sure, you may have the effort values tuned to the max on your Rhyperior, but that pales in comparison to saying that you have an Arceus or a Darkrai in your collection.
Or even a shiny Articuno, like one lucky bugger that I know. Getting your hands on a legendary Pokémon however, is equal parts time-consuming and difficult. They’re rare for a reason, with only a select few available in each generation. 2014’s Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire was your best chance at filling in gaps, but there were still quite a few elusive monsters missing.
Fortunately, Nintendo is planning on celebrating the 20th year of Pokémon with a year-long distribution event for Pokémon X/Y and Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire owners. Here’s when and where you can get your hands on some new ‘mon yo:
- Mew: February 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Celebi: March 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Jirachi: April 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Darkrai: May 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Manaphy: June 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Shaymin: July 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Arceus: August 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Victini: September 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Keldeo: October 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
- Genesect: November 1 – 24, 2016 at GameStop
- Meloetta: December 1 – 24, 2016 at Nintendo Network
Now a few caveats to take note of. The dates above are for North American players, with a similar page on the European website with the exact same Pokémon listed saying that you’ll need to “check back for details.” Also, if you’re local, then you’re Shaymin out of luck for the events occurring at GameStop. Hopefully we’ll see an equivalent happen here at BT Games with Nintendo, as they have done so with previous events since 2013.
I’m pretty much sorted however. I’ve got a full collection of legendary Pokémon, a valid Pokémon Bank account and a ton of eggs waiting to be hatched when the next game is announced. C’MON NINTENDO, I NEED THIS IN MY LIFE ALREADY!
Last Updated: January 13, 2016