Since the beta closed on the 15th of May, Microsoft and Epic Games have broken all kinds of records. Staring with a unbelievable 1.29 million players participating in the online multiplayer testing, to Gears of War 3 becoming the all time highest pre-ordered Xbox exclusive title in the history of the platform.
Gears of War 3 is the final chapter of one of the most renowned sagas in video game history, so these stats are impressive but expected. Hit the jump for all the detailia.
â€œConsumer demand for Gears of War 3 has been incredible,â€ said Bob McKenzie, Senior VP of Merchandising at GameStop. â€œIt is one of the few times in our history that we’ve seen a title hit this level of pre-order numbers four months out from launch, putting Gears of War 3 on track to be one of the year’s biggest blockbuster gaming hits.â€
The public multiplayer beta certainly helped push the Gears of War 3 pre-orders. The beta featured three distinct gameplay modes across four new maps while running on dedicated servers. For more on what went down around the beta-webs, hit the link: Gears of War 3 Beta
â€œAn overwhelming success – we can’t thank the fans enough,â€ said Epic Games Design Director Cliff Bleszinski. â€œWhile the beta was a fun way to give players an early taste of our game, it also provided us with invaluable feedback to help us refine and polish Gears of War 3 to ensure it’s truly the culmination of the trilogy we promised to the fans.â€
Over the course of four weeks, fans played more than 11 million multiplayer matches, earning ribbons and medals, unlocking weapon skins and finishing off enemies with countless new execution moves, among other incredible feats:
- 1.29M people participated in the Beta
- 145 different countries participated in the beta
- 249 years worth of matches played
- More than 11 million matches completed
- More than 927 million kills recorded
- More than 131 million executions performed
- More than 23 million deaths by chainsaw
- Nearly 23 BILLION bullets fired
- 4.9B ribbons and 291M medals earned
- 435K people earned the Beta exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game when it launches in September
- 234K people earned the Beta exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game when it launches in September
That’s a lot of bait!
Last Updated: May 19, 2011