Not only is Nintendo the undisputed champion of hardware sales – it seems its software is causing cash registers to whirr in a frenzy too. According to NPD’s end of year figures, five of the top ten selling games of 2008 were from the Japanese giants. Other juggernauts include GTA IV – which sold a total of 5.18 million copies – and the 360 version Call of Duty: World at War, outselling the much anticipated 360 exclusive Gears of War 2 (which is sure to make CliffyB Cliff Blezinski cry into his morning cup of coffee.)
We all know of course that Wii Play is nothing more than a demo bundled with a wiimote, and shouldn’t really be included. Somewhat surprisingly, not a single PS3 exclusive made it in to the top 10. Where are Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet?
Click through to see the 10 top selling games of 2008.
Annual 2008 Software Sales
- Wii Play (Wii) — 5,280,000
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii) — 5,000,000
- Wii Fit (Wii) — 4,530,000
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) — 4,170,000
- Grand Theft Auto 4 (360) — 3,290,000
- Call of Duty: World at War (360) — 2,750,000
- Gears of War 2 (360) — 2,310,000
- Grand Theft Auto 4 (PS3) — 1,890,000
- Madden NFL 09 (360) — 1,870,000
- Mario Kart DS (DS) — 1,650,000
Last Updated: January 16, 2009