Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Robert Downey Jr. wants to give you the best night of your life… Okay, put the baby oil away, Darryn. He doesn’t mean it like that. Also you may be on the wrong continent to be eligible for this amazing prize to attend the world premier of Avengers: Age of Ultron, but still it’s pretty cool.
- Dear, Fox. WTF are you doing?! Deadline is reporting that True Blood and Pacific Rim Star Rob Kazinsky has signed on in the title role for Fox’s upcoming contemporary take on Frankenstein. That’s not the WTF part. No, that comes from the TV series plot description:
“Frankenstein centers on Ray Pritchard (Kazinsky), a morally corrupt retired cop who is given a second chance at life when he is brought back from the dead. The “monster” is athletic, strong and handsome — the reanimated version of a much older Pritchard, a former Marine who was recently murdered. Pritchard’s body may be new, but his mind is still that of a 75-year-old, badass curmudgeon.”
“Athletic, strong and handsome”. “Badass curmudgeon”. Mary Shelley is probably turning in her grave so much, she may as well have been buried on a rotisserie.
- Poster of the day: Enemy
- He said yes. No, I’m not leaving my wife for a same-sex marriage. I’m talking about actor Michael Biehn, who was recently asked by a Reddit user, while at Pensacola Comic Con, if he had been contacted about Neill Blomkamp’s upcoming Alien movie (the concept art of which showed an older disfigured Biehn as Hicks), to which he “smiled and said, ‘Yes.'” Asked whether he would be up for actually reprising the role he played in 1896’s Aliens, Biehn responded with an excited “Looks like it!”.
- Wilmer Valderrama is the latest addition to the cast of the upcoming Minority Report TV sequel, as a fellow police officer working with Meagan Good’s lead Lara Vega. Wilmer Valderrama was of course Fez on That 70’s Show. This could get unintentionally weird.
- Pro tip: If you find yourself in Hollywood on Oscar night next year, just make sure you have a fake golden statue with you and you’re wearing a tuxedo. You will be a king for a night.
- Joseph Kosinski has directed Tron Legacy and Oblivion, two movies that both feature incredible jaw-dropping graphics and really cool action but have problematic scripts. So I guess it comes as no surprise that he is in early negotiations to helm the upcoming feature film adaptation for popular car racing video game Gran Turismo as he may just be a perfect fit. The plot – what little there may be for a car racing sim – is being kept under wraps, but it was alluded to in 2013 that Alex Tse’s script would follow an expert Gran Turismo video game player who wins some competition to become a racing car driver for real. However its being reported that if Kosinski does sign on that he would be developing a new script.
- Check out these awesome pics of a digitally de-aged young Michael Caine in a deleted scene from Kingsman: The Secret Service. The scene is reportedly set in the 1970’s, so I’m not entirely sure how it would even have fitted into the movies, but I can’t wait to get my inevitable Blu Ray to find out.
- Looks like Ethan Hawk may be up for another training day… on a horse. Hawke has reportedly joined the cast of the upcoming Magnificent Remake, reteaming with his Training Day co-star and director in Denzel Washinton and Antoine Fuqua respectively. There’s no word on the roles yet, but Chris Pratt and Hayley Bennet fill out the cast thus far.
- Now that he’s done with his first stint of beating up girls in Fifty Shades of Grey, Jamie Dornan will be turning his “particular tastes” on some Nazis. Dornan will be joining Cillian Murphy for Anthropoid, an upcoming WWII thriller that focuses on “an assassination attempt on Reinhard Heydrich, an SS general who led the Nazi forces in Czechoslovakia and gained the nickname “the Butcher of Prague.” Two soldiers from Czechoslovakia’s army in exile are trained by British forces, and parachuted into their homeland with the assignment, code-named Anthropoid, to kill Heydrich.”
- Let it never be said that TheMovies.co.za isn’t an educational site. Up top we showed you how to be a fake celebrity, and now we’re going to show you how to act like your favourite actor. Thanks to this incredible video, I have already mastered my Leonardo DiCaprio impersonation!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: March 3, 2015