Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Since we kicked off today with a whole bunch of major Star Wars: Episode VII revelations (if true), what better way to kick off today’s Extras than with Luke Skywalker himself. Mark Hamill posted this pic of himself in front of the movie’s recording studio on Instagram, and I have to say that with the beard and much trimmer physique, he is looking every bit the veteran Jedi Master he is rumoured to be in the movie.
- Oh, that Jackie Chan. Bless his heart. While chatting about how he wasn’t happy with some of the violent messages in some of his earlier movies, and which he is trying to rectify now in his career, he brought up the prospect of Rush Hour 4 and revealed that while the studios have contacted him to make the sequel, he’s not interested until – and I know this is a novel idea for most blockbusters – he sees a decent script.
“Just like lately they want to make Rush Hour 4. I said ‘No, show me the script first. I don’t need another Rush Hour 4. You need Rush Hour 4. Show me the script.’ I don’t want to do a rubbish script just because they want to make the movie.”
- Congratulations, fans of naked Stellan Skarsgard! The actor has confirmed that he will be reprising his role of Dr Erik Selvig in Avengers: Age of Ultron again, and yes, he’ll be naked.
“I’m going to be in Avengers: Age Of Ultron, a small appearance. It’s something really nice.”
“Yeah, I was naked again. They called my agent and said, ‘Do you think Stellan will mind being naked?’ My agent laughed his head off. Yeah, I almost insist!”
“First of all, I don’t know what I’m allowed to say, but usually they call me in if they need something explained. There’s a lot of explanations to do when it comes to that universe.”
- Poster of the Day: Dumb and Dumber To spoofs poster for Lucy
- News flash! They may rule the box office and are arguably be the most commercially reliable studio on the planet right now, but not everybody is a fan of Marvel and the way they make movies. Just ask Mickey Rourke, (who will soon be seen in Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s comic book adaptation Sin City: A Dame To Kill For) who doesn’t sound too happy with how his role in Iron Man 2 turned out.
“I’m not a Marvel fan. I’m a Robert Rodriguez/Frank Miller fan. Once I did a movie for Marvel and they cut the whole f*ckin’ thing out. When you work with Robert, he knows what he wants. I do a lot of research – work on the character a lot – so when you bring it to the table it’s disappointing when they cut stuff out. Frank’s on the set and he puts his two cents in. It’s great because you got two guys who are very enthusiastic who know exactly what they want. If I make an adjustment and they say “Well why don’t you try this?” it’s usually a better idea than what I came up with.”
- Ever wonder what it would have been like the comic book movie revolution happened in the 80’s but all the movies starred the current stars of The Expendables? You didn’t? For shame! Don’t worry though, EW has you covered.
- Time to head into the rumour mill. Or is that rumour hill, as in anthill. Latino Review have apparently got their hands on some details from an early draft of Ant-Man (I’m assuming this would still be the work of Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish), which opens up with a scene set in the past, focusing on Michael Douglas’ Hank Pym, when he’s still Ant-Man. And he’s apparently not going to be the only familiar face there.
“In earlier drafts of the script, Hank Pym in the first act prologue has a meeting at S.H.I.E.L.D. and meets up with Howard Stark, Peggy Carter, Armin Zola, and here is a cool one…a young Alexander Pierce.”
- Bravo, Downton Abbey! A recent promo pic of the popular 1940’s set BBC drama got skewered by the internet when somebody spotted a plastic water bottle (which didn’t exist back then) accidentally left on a mantlepiece in the background. So how did the cast and crew respond to this gaffe? Apologize profusely for their anachronistic slip-up? Nope, they turned the whole thing into a charity drive for WaterAid, an organization dedicated to bringing clean running water to areas with not proper infrastructure to supply it.
- The South African accent is one that’s notoriously difficult to replicate (just ask the lineup of Hollywood actors who nearly embarrassed themselves on screen trying to pull it it off), but something like an Irish brogue or a British veneer should be a cinch for these high-paid actors, right? RIGHT?!
- This dad who photoshopped Ewoks into all his family photos to convince his kids that Ewoks are real, wins the Internet for today.
- As you may have heard, it seems that not many people wanted to make The Expendables 3 an expense this weekend past, but that doesn’t mean that star Sylvester Stallone is getting out of the muscled action man game any time soon. Speaking to Vulture, he revealed that he is in fact already prepping for another Rambo movie, one that sounds completely contradictory.
“I’m getting ready for that. I’m starting to work out. I’m going to be appropriately vicious and all that stuff, but intellectual. A killer with a heart. Smart, yet stupid. Tall, yet short. Broad, but thin. You know what I mean. We’re going to try to cover all the boundaries.”
No, Sly. We actually don’t know what the hell you mean.
- The Expendables 3 is not exactly the type of movie that surprises you. One look at the poster, and you should know exactly what type of movie you’re going to get. But still, maybe more people would have gone to see it if they had known these Fun F*cking Facts about the movie beforehand.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: August 18, 2014