Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Gore Verbinski’s big budget movies may be hit (Pirates Of The Caribbean 2! Yaaaay!) or miss (Pirates Of The Caribbean 3! Boo!), but when given the chance to make something smaller, he can turn in some real magic. Hell, just look at Rango. So after the massive flop that was The Lone Ranger, just what is Verbinski up to next? A racing film, believe it or not. A racing film, without drivers that is:
“It’s a large scale action adventure comedy that’s best described as a transcontinental car race with autonomous vehicles. The race originates as a beta test to vet competing software companies that would take the lead on futuristic driver-less vehicles, but it all takes an It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World-like comedic turn when the trial run devolves into major road race after the competitive nature of the start-ups trumps their altruistic intentions. The subjects, normal people who are passengers in these cars, eventually try to take control of the experiment. A simple trek from Paris to Beijing, goes awry as vehicles head off the road and off the grid, getting into all kinds of trouble.”
Yes, because allowing cars to drive themselves is now only slightly less dangerous than making Nick the designated driver.
- I think we can all agree that Aliens is one of the greatest movies ever made. If we can’t agree on that, then my friends and I would like to debate your viewpoint with our fists. It’s a complete film from start to finish, that tragically continued into Alien 3 by offing the hardcore Colonial Marine Hicks and the adorable survivor Newt. And Ripley’s cute ginger cat, but that’s a story for another time. But BadassDigest has a pretty interesting read on why those deaths were necessary, and more importantly, a great reflection of the era that the film was made in. In short, blame AIDS.
- And now for something far less depressing! We like to consider ourselves Star Wars geeks on this site, but even we don’t everything there is to know about the franchise. Such as these four weird facts, which may have escaped our laser-sharp attention:
- Poster Of The Day: Gremlins 2
- Because nobody asked for it, a sequel to Barbershop is on the way. Imagine my surprise, when I found out that this would in fact be the second sequel, as I had no idea that a Barbershop 2 had even been made several years ago.
- When you think about it, the climatic final scene from Ghostbusters is really, really silly. After all, it features four out of shape paranormal exterminators wielding unlicensed nuclear accelerators as they attempt to blast a god of destruction into atoms. A god that happens to be a gigantic marshmallow deity, who promptly explodes after having been zapped with enough energy to become what the Japanese refer to as a “bukkake bomb”. Ever wondered just how that scene was made? Well Cinefix has the answers that you’re looking for.
- Even though me finding a suitable marriage partner is about as rare as Ghostbusters 3 ever being made, I would like to imagine that I’d be able to take part in a Rambo bachelor party if that ever did happen.
- Easily one of the finest actors running around these days, is Jared Leto. He’s a man of talent and charisma, skills which will no doubt be put to good use when he plays the Joker in the upcoming Suicide Squad movie. And according to Leto, it’s a role that will allow him to get dig deep into portraying a character with a classical side of madness. “The opportunity to take on this nearly Shakespearean character — that’s what graphic novels and comic books are becoming, right?” Leto said to Billboard. “[He’s] this beautiful disaster of a character — what a big challenge.” Interestingly enough, Leto has also had to gain some weight to play the character, who is normally portrayed as being thinner than patience for the EFF in parliament.
- Ladies and gentlemen, Kristen Stewart would like to tell you all that she is still “fucking proud” of Twilight. The curse-word adjective helped her emphasize this point, as her usual hungover expression is still kind of hard to accurately read.
- This is the part of the day where I shout “SPOILER” at you. Fifty times. Note to self: Trigger Kervyn’s PC to automatically play this clip next time he starts it up so that I can ruin his life even more.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: February 20, 2015