Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Unfortunately, we start off today on a sombre note. John Nash, the acclaimed mathematician whose life inspired the 2011 Oscar-winning Russell Crowe movie A Beautiful Mind died this weekend past in a car accident with his wife. The 86-year old Nash and his 82-year old wife were in a taxi in New Jersey on Saturday night, when the taxi driver lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake another car, resulting in the fatal crash.
- Dear person who came up with the idea of mashing together Mad Max: Fury Road and “Mario Kart”, you’re a freaking genius.
- In news that should surprise nobody, FX have put in an 10-episode first season order for Kurt Suttner’s new drama series The Bastard Executioner. I would like to think that the period drama’s badass title was enough to win the network execs over, but the fact that Suttner was the man behind the most recent smash hit Sons of Anarchy probably helped a fair bit. Both Suttner and FX have been playing coy with the show’s details, but The Bastard Executioner supposedly “tells the story of a warrior knight in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword. But when that violence finds him again he is forced to pick up the bloodiest sword of all.” And by “bloodiest sword” they mean “giant freaking axe”.
- Poster of the day: Alien
- If you don’t know who Alicia Vikander is, you will soon. The young actress may have had a poor start to the year with the lacklustre Seventh Son, but she’s now starred in what many consider to be the dark horse favourite movie of the year in Ex Machina, And to follow up with that critically acclaimed movie, she’s apparently in talks to star in both the Assassins Creed video game adaptation as well as the next Bourne movie.
- Merc with the mouth? More like the merc with the heart! In a heartwarming display of just being an awesome human being, Deadpool star Ryan Reynolds donned his superhero costume to meet with two different young fans battling health issues who just wanted to meet their favourite superhero.
15 yr old Calista King – World’s greatest #deadpool fan – visited set yesterday. Sure, we put her in the film. Sure, I said a lot of terrible words around her. And her mother. And especially her grandmother. But more importantly, she left with Deadpool’s sword. I can’t think of a better person to have it.
Tony Acevedo asked Make A Wish Foundation if he could meet Deadpool. I wasn’t expecting him to sneak the mask, put on the gloves, smile… and then beat Deadpool about the face, arms and jugular with blazing speed. Tony’s next fight is with Hodgkin’s Disease. Hodgkin’s Disease best be wearing its brown pants. Huge thanks to @makeawishamerica
A photo posted by Ryan Reynolds (@vancityreynolds) on
- Did you know that the design of the new Stormtrroopers in Star Wars: The Force Awakens was inspired by Apple and Nazis? No, seriously.
- Illusionist heist flick Now You See Me 2 is only set to release on June 10, 2016, but because this is Hollywood where counting unhatched chickens is the biggest hobby next to recreational drugs, Now You See Me 3 has now already gone into development at Lionsgate.
- Ever wonder how the people at Madame Tussaud’s create such lifelike representations of famous actors? If you were thinking they just used black magic, then you and I would both be wrong. Turns out it’s just these two little things called talent and lots of time.
- George Clooney would like to issue a formal apology for nearly ruining the Dark Knight with the infamously atrocious Batman & Robin. Apology accepted, Clooney.
- HOOO-WHEEE, BOYS! We dun hav usselves a regular god of mishcief to hun’ down today! Dis “ASS-GARDIAN” fella gonna git himself a right gud whuppin’! AVENGERS, DONE ASSAMBLE! YEE HAW!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: May 25, 2015