Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- As was announced last week, screenwriter Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli, After Earth) will soon be penning one of the Star Wars spinoff movies, but this is not the writer’s first run in with that galaxy far, far away. Back in 2011, Whitta appeared on tested.com’s podcast and when talk turned to all things Star Wars, the writer went on a (NSFW) rant about Disneyland’s Jedi Training Academy. And it’s kind of mean and funny.
- Big news of the weekend was obviously Edgar Wright – the talented, offbeat writer-director with the unique visual style – parting ways with Marvel due to “creative differences” on Ant-Man, after spending the last 8 years developing it. Lots of Hollywood pundits have weighed in on just what this means, and whether what Marvel/Wright did was a good. James Gunn – you know, the talented, offbeat writer-director with the unique visual style that Marvel allowed to do pretty much whatever the hell he wanted on Guardians of the Galaxy – also weighed in on the situation, saying that it may not be as easy to hold either side to blame.
“Sometimes you have friends in a relationship. You love each of them dearly as individuals and think they’re amazing people. When they talk to you about their troubles, you do everything you can to support them, to keep them together, because if you love them both so much doesn’t it make sense they should love each other? But little by little you realize, at heart, they aren’t meant to be together – not because there’s anything wrong with either of them, but they just don’t have personalities that mesh in a comfortable way. They don’t make each other happy. Although it’s sad to see them split, when they do, you’re surprisingly relieved, and excited to see where their lives take them next.
It’s easy to try to make one party “right” and another party “wrong” when a breakup happens, but it often isn’t that simple. Or perhaps it’s even more simple than that – not everyone belongs in a relationship together. It doesn’t mean they’re not wonderful people.
And that’s true of both Edgar Wright and Marvel. One of them isn’t a person, but I think you get what I mean.”
- Poster of the Day: Bananaman
- If you’re worried that now that Gareth Edwards is making Star Wars movie, that he’ll forget all about a certain giant lizard with nuclear powered halitosis, then Legendary CEO Thomas Tull is here to assuage your fears, confirming that Edwards is still on track to direct Godzilla 2.
“Gareth’s filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation’s most creative and visionary directors. The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another ‘Godzilla,’ but who knew it would be a ‘Star Wars’ installment? We have a great plan in store for ‘Godzilla’ fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the ‘Star Wars’ universe.”
And that plan, according to THR is actually for Edwards to not only make one Godzilla sequel, but actually helm a full trilogy of them.
- How about you celebrate the King of Monster’s return to cinema with this incredi-bad Godzilla hoodie that you just know you want.
- And last Godzilla for today. The monster’s iconic roar is one of cinema’s most recognizable sounds, so updating it for the new film, but still keeping it familiar enough so that the purists won’t have any problems, was a tough nut to crack. And this newly released featurette from Dolby Labs shows you just how they pulled it off.
- So you may have heard the news that the Monty Python crew are getting back together again. And the reason for this reunion? New material? Introducing a whole new generation to the Python insanity? Nope. They have bills to pay. Specifically one £800,000 bill, according to John Cleese, from a court case they lost against producer Mark Forstater over royalties from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Usually, having your assets frozen is a bad thing, but the same can’t be said for Disney’s latest record breaking blockbuster. The animated film Frozen – which is already the biggest animated film ever – still hasn’t stopped earning cash internationally, and this weekend past its box office earnings ticked over the $1.219 billion mark, officially making it the 5th highest grossing film of all time.
- And with X-Men: Days of Future Past being the talk of several towns all around the world, there couldn’t be a more fitting time for the next installment of Peter Holmes’ hilarious Ex-Men sketch series, this time focusing on Magneto!
- Yo, JJ Abrams and Chris Nolan! Looks like you guys got some serious competition in the “Super Secretive Filmmaker” department, as the news just snuck in that director Duncan Jones (Moon, Source Code) has wrapped production on his eagerly anticipated video game adaptation Warcraft. Wrapped production? Most people didn’t even know it was in production yet! Thus far, all we have to show for the movie besides the cast list, is one low-res set pic that shows next to nothing. In today’s age of leaked details, that’s damn impressive!
- Did you know that funnyman Will Ferrell and Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith are the same person? Seriously, just look at them, they have to be clones! And like all clones do, the cowbell-obsessed Ferrell challenged the rocker to a drumming competition a few months back, so that they can determine once and for all who the best clone drummer is. And that glorious drum-off finally happened this weekend past.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: May 26, 2014