Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Happy American Holiday That Has Nothing To Do With The Rest Of The World But Everybody Is Suddenly Celebrating Anyway Day! (And yes, I know that technically Thanksgiving was yesterday, but hey, time zones!) And what are we thankful for? Well, the fact that we’ll be getting the first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens very soon of course. In preparation for our first Star Wars fix in 9 years, why not take a look back at the debut trailers of every single Star Wars movie released thus far.
- The Bad Lip Reading crew is back, and this time they’re turning their talents on The Hunger Games: Catching Fire to hilarious effect!
- And speaking of The Hunger Games, I’ve spent most of this week listening to Jennifer Lawrence’s spinetingling rendition of “The Hanging Tree” in Mockingjay – Part 1 over and over again. Looks like I’m not the only one though, as the song has now entered the UK Singles Chart at no.29 and climbing steadily. Because clearly Oscars aren’t enough for the young starlet, she now needs to be a chart-topping pop star as well.
- The title for the Doctor Who Christmas special, which featured Nick Frost as Santa Claus, has officially been revealed as “Last Christmas”. A short synopsis for the episode has also been revealed, and I’m really surprised by the lack of 1980’s George Michael and his feather earring.
“The Doctor and Clara face their Last Christmas. Trapped on an Arctic base, under attack from terrifying creatures, who are you going to call? Santa Claus!”
- Poster of the day: Jaws
- Dan Gilroy (The Bourne Legacy, Nightcrawler) has signed on to pen an adaptation of John Huddy’s true-story crime novel “Storming Las Vegas: How a Cuban-Born, Soviet-Trained Commando Took Down the Strip to the Tune of Five World-Class Hotels, Three Armored Cars, and Millions of Dollars.” No, I’m not making that title up. Luckily for us, the feature film version, which has had Antoine “Training Day” Fuqua attached to direct since 2011, will be going by the much easier name of just Storming Las Vegas.
The incredible tale focuses on Jose Vigoa, an ex-Soviet special forces veteran, originally born into poverty in Cuba, who turned into a modern day Robin Hood when he led a gang on a 16-month long series of daring heists on the Las Vegas casino strip during the 1990’s. Vigoa and his crew stole millions, but because the casinos didn’t want it to be public knowledge that they could be robbed as easily as they were, they kept the crimes out of the newspapers entirely and only had a single Las Vegas police force veteran set to track Vigoa down and bring him to justice.
- According to these new pics from The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Lake-Town is definitely the hottest place in Middle Earth this December!
- We’re still about 5 months away from the next season of Game of Thrones, but if you really cannot wait that long then here’s a little teaser. And I really mean “little teaser”.
— Game Of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) November 25, 2014
- I don’t know about you guys, but I tend to not want leave my bacon lying outside. Clearly director Greg McLean (Wolf Creek) has no such qualms though, as he’s tapped Kevin Bacon to star in Jungle, an outdoor survival thriller “based on the true story of adventurer Yossi Ghinsberg, who was lost for three weeks alone in the Amazon rainforest in Bolivia in 1981”.
- How’s this for nostalgia? This cool little promo video from European sci-fi cable channel AXN is a tribute to 1980’s sci-fi movies, done in the style of 1980’s arcade games!
- And here’s our last thing to be thankful for today: Sherlock outtakes!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: November 28, 2014