The greatest Tarzan movie ever made was George of the Jungle. This makes me sad, because I wish Brendan Frasier’s career would pull out of its death spin. Seriously, who here has seen Bedazzled and not enjoyed it?
For the rest Tarzan movies have been kinda rubbish, not counting the Disney one. I’ve never managed to sit through The Legend of Greystoke and I really can’t get into the older stuff. Then again, I’m not that interested unless they start adding dinosaurs or something. This whole ‘baby raised in the jungle’ thing must have seemed great back in the day when people had no idea what went on in jungles. These days we have a much better idea – and we know there are no lost civilisations or dinosaurs. It’s boring.
Nonetheless, Legend of Tarzan – the latest stab at this franchise – debuted at the top of the chart. Don’t expect that to last: reviews indicate it’s a pretty dull affair, so Tarzan is destined to miss a vine pretty soon.
The only other new entry is Marauders, a movie featuring Bruce Willis in a supporting role. So you know it will be sh*t.
Mr. Right disappears after a single week showing and Independence Day 2 flies off, leaving a so-so run behind it.
South Africa’s weekend movie charts:
- 01. LEGEND OF TARZAN (Incl 3D, Imax & 4DX) (NE)
- 02. ICE AGE 5: COLLISION COURSE (incl 3D & Imax) (LW: 1)
- 03. CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE (LW: 3)
- 04. FINDING DORY (incl 3D & Imax) (LW: 2)
- 05. ME BEFORE YOU (LW: 4)
- 06. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES 2 (LW: 5)
- 07. BFG: THE BIG FRIENDLY GIANT (Incl 3D) (LW: 6)
- 08. MARAUDERS (NE)
- 09. NOW YOU SEE ME: THE SECOND ACT (LW: 9)
- 10. THE CONJURING 2 (LW: 8)
(LW = Last Week; NE = New Entry)
Last Updated: July 21, 2016