MMOs are ever changing games, not much different from other online games like MOBAs, they are shaped and changed and adapted over time. New features get added, old features get removed, gameplay changes and for the most part, we absolutely love it.
Guild Wars 2 is one of those games, innovating and introducing new features over time. ArenaNet has published an article, written by designer Jonathan Sharp on their official website introducing and discussing near future PvP features being added to the game. Sharp describes it as their “metaphorical iceberg” and seems passionate about brining new features into the game. These PvP features focus heavily on PvP as an eSport, including Free Automated Tournaments, Paid Automated Tournaments and Custom Arenas. Sharp also mentions plans to incorporate leaderboards, spectating, larger tournaments and streaming.
Here’s the breakdown of the sPvP (structured player-versus-player) features:
Free Automated Tournaments
Free Automated Tournaments are what players are playing now, meant to be a player friendly introduction and learning curve to PvP, people randomly form teams and try to win some awesome loot. These can be played solo, auto-matched or with players who don’t have a full team.
- 1st place – 1 Gold Free Tournament Reward Chest, 300 glory, 300 rank points
- 2nd place – 1 Silver Free Tournament Reward Chest, 200 glory, 200 rank points
- 3rd place – 1 Copper Free Tournament Reward Chest, 100 glory, 100 rank points
- 4th place – 1 Copper Free Tournament Reward Chest, 100 glory, 100 rank points
- 5th place – No reward
- 6th place – No reward
- 7th place – No reward
- 8th place – No reward
Paid Automated Tournaments
Paid Automated Tournaments are very similar to Free Automated Tournaments, but with a few key changes.
As indicated these tournaments will have an entry fee. Players will need tickets to enter which will be available for purchase in the gem store, found in reward chests from free tournaments and received when ranking up.
Paid Automated Tournaments will not contain any match-making system; players will be required to enter with a premade team.
- 1st place – 1 Gold Tournament Reward Chest, 360 glory, 360 rank points, 180 Gems
- 2nd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 240 glory, 240 rank points, 120 Gems
- 3rd place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
- 4th place – 1 Silver Tournament Reward Chest, 120 glory, 120 rank points, 4 Tournament Tickets
- 5th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
- 6th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
- 7th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
- 8th place – 1 Copper Tournament Reward Chest
Custom arenas are what most FPS competitive players know as booking a server for clan practise. These arenas are special PvP maps that will be rented by players in order to host scrims (clannies) or practise as a team. Players will be allowed to set up passwords to keep them from being joined by outside players.
To read more details about future plans for Guild Wars 2 and more about structured PvP, head on over to this page.
Last Updated: October 10, 2012