I liked Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. Kinda. I’ve not yet finished the game, but I have enjoyed shooting at things when I’m not playing other games – a sort of mindless diversion for when I want to leave my brain at my desk. I haven’t really sunk nearly as much time in to the game as it deserves – because I’ve not even started with the multiplayer.
And as of today, there’s a lot more multiplayer for me to be unacquainted with. The new Awaking DLC for the game has launched on Call of Duty’s new preferred platform, the PlayStation 4. A new 9 GB patch for the Ps4 version is out, adding a handful of maps in addition to patching many of the games remaining issues and foibles.
Here’s a summary of the maps, including the new Zombies adventure.
- Gauntlet: Delivering three unique environments within one action-packed map, Gauntlet showcases Treyarch’s classic three-lane map structure, transporting Players into battle through a sprawling jungle, sub-zero artic zone and rainy urban cityscape.
- Splash: Dive into battle in this abandoned water park, featuring a vibrant and colorful environment, including waterslides, a wrecked pirate ship and a lazy river. Splash encourages an open flow of combat with opportunities for underwater gameplay.
- Rise: A versatile multiplayer map, Rise is set in the snowy outskirts of Zurich in the middle of an ongoing construction site for a massive subterranean Coalescence research campus. With multiple engagement areas throughout this larger map, each section caters to different styles of gameplay.
- Skyjacked: High above urban Zurich, Skyjacked is a modernized version of the popular Call of Duty: Black Ops II multiplayer map Hijacked. Utilizing the new core movement system featured in Black Ops III, this map gives Players new ways to explore the environment, while still retaining the same fast and frenetic gameplay Players love.
- Der Eisendrache: Awakening also introduces the first chapter of Call of Duty: Black Ops III’s Zombies DLC adventure with Der Eisendrache. Set in a chilling medieval Austrian castle during World War II, Players will embark on an epic journey with the Origin characters Richtofen, Nikolai, Takeo and Dempsey. The ancient site on which the castle sits was the scene of unspeakable horror where massive deposits of Element 115 have recently been discovered. Players will discover a variety of exciting plot twists and surprises as they survive waves of the undead.
If you want to get in on the new maps, now’s a great time to do it.
We will probably do a time-limited BONUS playlist in case you JUST want to get familiar with new maps. That will have most popular modes.
— David Vonderhaar (@DavidVonderhaar) February 1, 2016
The DLC comes alongside the game’s latest patch, which has more fixes than you can shake a stick at. Read the full patch notes here. Remember that because of the new co-marketing deal with Sony, it’ll be a month before the DLC is available on Xbox One or PC. It won’t be coming to the last gen versions at all.
Last Updated: February 2, 2016