Gamer killed by his Xbox

1 min read
0

xlarge_staniforth

Well, indirectly at least. The Sun Newspaper, that bastion of responsible journalism, unbiased ethics and getting under the collar of Liverpool Football Club supporters, recently reported how a Sheffield resident in England recently died, due to damage done to his body from lengthy gaming sessions.

While awaiting his turn for a job interview, Chris Staniforth dropped a pack of chewing gum, bent over to pick it up and then went into spasms, followed by his unfortunate death soon after. The coroner has concluded that his death was caused by pulmonary embolism as a result of deep vein thrombosis, most likely due to his regular 12 hour stints playing games on his Xbox.

While its not uncommon for people today to spend a few hours playing their favourite titles, Staniforth’s problem was that he would engage in these mammoth sessions without taking a break, damaging his body repeatedly as he carried on with his games.

Staniforth’s father, while justifiably saddened, has at least not been keen to jump on the “Video games are the devil” campaign, instead launching an initiative to warn youngsters about the dangers of Deep Vein Thrombosis and spending too much time in one position without stretching your body.

“Kids all over the country are playing these games for long periods,” his dad said, in an interview with The Sun. “They don’t realise it could kill them.”

 

Source: Kotaku, The Sun

 

Last Updated: August 1, 2011

Darryn Bonthuys

Word-slinger at Critical Hit. Inventor of the macho Swiss gym chocolate known as Testoblerone. That's...that's about it really.

Check Also

The comic book industry pays tribute to Stan Lee

With his passing, Stan Lee’s own story may be over but the legend he created will live on …