It’s been a busy time for Ubisoft lately. After the images showing off the latest hero of the upcoming Assassin’s Creed 3 were leaked, the gaming world wanted to know more, a curiosity that was slightly sated with a look at the covers for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC versions of the game, while a mysterious clock on the official website counted down.
There’s still a few hours to go before we find out what’s behind the clock, but in the mean time, we’ve got a ton of new info on the game, revealing details on the game world and characters of Assassin’s Creed 3.
Courtesy of Gamingbolt and Gameinformer, Assassin’s Creed 3 is shaping up nicely, as it seems that it will be a whole new ball game when compared to the previous adventures of Ezio Auditore and Altair.
What has been revealed so far is;
– Brand new environments and ways of exploiting them will be present, according to creative director Alex Hutchinson.
– Cinematic sequences will be more complex, with the native language of the protoganist, Iroquois from the Mohawk tribes, woven into them.
– This particular Assassin’s Creed game has had the longest development cycle so far, clocking in at over three years, meaning that it was developed in conjunction with the spin-off games Brotherhood and Revelations.
– The game story will revolve around the Templars fighting the Americans, but it will not be about winning the war, but will instead be about living through it.
– A brand new version of the Anvil engine will power the visuals, with the camera being constantly positioned at the best possible angle during play.
– The latest person that Desmond lives through is the son of a Native American woman and a British soldier, who goes by the English name of Connor, but is known as Ratohnhakéton in the Native American tribes. He eventually crosses paths with the Assassins while seeking justice.
– Connor is a quieter, more stoic character who speaks through his actions, and fights for the greater good, as opposed to Ezio who initially fought based on his personal need for revenge.
– In-game locations include Boston and New York, with a countryside that will be the main area of action for approximately 1/3 of the game. This area is apparently 1.5 times larger than Rome was in Brotherhood.
– Connor will fight on the American side, joining forces with George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Lee. However, he will also fight against both British and American forces, as Templar agents are everywhere.
– Assassin’s Creed 3 will feature different seasons, meaning that the landscape will change, resulting in the need for different tactics.
– You can chain kills in the game using the tomahawk and the knife.
– Fighting and stealth has received a massive overhaul, with the gameplay of Connor being described as that of a “predator”. Trees and other areas can be climbed on when in natural surroundings, while certain melee weapons can be dual-wielded.
– Animals can be seen and hunted in the woods, allowing for Connor to sell their pelts and make cash in a whole new economic system.
– There will be puzzles present in AC3, similar to “The Truth”, but without the involvment of Subject 16.
– Desmond will find himself reliving significant events in the new Animus 3.0.
– The Assassin’s Guild will return in a new form in AC3
– Target-locking has been done away with, meaning that the gameplay has changed, as Connor can also take human shields.
– A fast travel system will be present.
– The various factions from previous AC games are gone, but they will be replaced with similar groups.
– There will be NO Den Defense.
After having played all the AC games over the last three years, I get the feeling that I’ve been beta-testing something that will be truly massive. It smacks of several influences, from cinematic and various other gaming influences, but so far, Assassin’s Creed 3 sounds magnificent so far.
Plus, no Den Defense whatsoever, which has just made the game stand out in my book once again.
Last Updated: March 5, 2012