Hot off the success of the 2011 reboot of Mortal Kombat, you’d expect developer Netherrealm Studios to be hard at work on a sequel, presumably after having surgery to replace their eyes with dollar symbols.
But nothing could be further from the truth, because right now, the studio is taking a break from the fatality-laden franchise, with studio Head Ed Boon wanting to test the waters and make different kinds of games.
“I would be surprised if Warner Bros. and us never released another Mortal Kombat game again” Boon told Gamespot.
“We don’t have a title to announce, but if this last one sold over 3 million and counting, there’s a certain amount of assumption that we’d consider doing another Mortal Kombat game. But at the same time, we want our studio to do more than just make Mortal Kombat games.”
“We love making them but we also want to do different types of games. Different genres, different IPs.”
Netherrealm actually did work on a new game that wasn’t Mortal Kombat, releasing it last year, but only iOS platform owners actually got to play it. It was a title that featured a certain Dark Knight, and was called Arkham City: Lockdown. Boon described the experience as “kind of like us dipping our foot” into a different kind of game.
“We’re going to continue in that direction, but I would be surprised if we never did another Mortal Kombat game again, Boon said. It’s nice to see more and more studios lately try and escape being pigeonholed into one role and genre.
We’ve seen it with Epic Games and their latest idea, Fortnight, while Insomniac Games have also declared that they’re parting ways with the Playstation exclusive Resistance series of games.
But if you still need to hear the sounds of arena slaughter and decapatation ringing in your head, don’t forget that a Vita version of Mortal Kombat is on the way later this year as well.
Last Updated: January 31, 2012