A zombie in Resident Evil 2 ain’t too much of a threat. A quick round to the head will have them down for the count and your regular service pistol is more than up to the task if you manage to stay calm, squeeze the trigger and not act like a complete pinhead when you see a single member of the walking dead.
That being said, there’s something magical about having a gun that can shred the undead. Leon’s got a heck of an alternative waiting for him in Resident Evil 2, a hand cannon that would make Dirty Harry himself proud of the rookie cop and his taste in firearms. Here’s how to solve the puzzle blocking your path to some truly American firepower and how to get it.
- This takes place during the first playthrough of Resident Evil 2
- Once you enter the Library on the west side of the Police station (after some story beats have been completed mind you), go to the third floor and a cutscene will trigger after you fall through the wooden balcony
- Kill the infected and make your way back to the main hall through the Spade Door
- Pick up the Red Book next to the door, on the table to your right
- Once a cutscene with Marvin is finished playing, go to the second floor on the East side and enter the waiting room through another Spade door
- In the Art Room, you’ll find the weapons locker key card, which will give you access to the gun cache at the back of the Safety Deposit Room
- You’ll also find a Regal Statue
- In the Art Room, you’ll also be able to solve the puzzle involving the roll of film that you get in the Safety Deposit Room locker
- Take the statue hand off of the table on the right side of the room, and combine that with the Red Book
- Use the Left Arm with Book on the statue, to unlock the Scepter item
- Examine the Scepter in your inventory, and you’ll get a Red Jewel
- Later in the game, after you’ve found the three medallions, the Goddess Statue and the secret room underneath it, you’ll find the Chief’s Office
- By this point, you should have access to the Interrogation Room and Observations Room
- As Leon, you’ll need to pull the crank handle to gain access to the Chief’s Office, so go up to the balcony and climb the ladder to the roof
- Once there, go down the stairs on the north side and you’ll enter the Boiler Room
- Inside the Boiler Room, go down the path until you reach the Typewriter room
- Inside, you can find the Club Key at the whiteboard
- This will open up access to the Observations Room, where you can get the Bejewelled Box on the desk
- Combine your Red Jewel with the box and you’ll get the S.T.A.R.S badge
- Examine the S.T.A.R.S badge in your inventory, and you’ll be able to change it into the USB Dongle key
- Back at the police station, go to the S.T.A.R.S office on the second floor of the Main Hall
- Use the USB dongle on the PC, activate the PC and hey presto! The weapons locker will open and you can grab some neat treasure inside.
Now go have some fun with the deliciously overpowered weapon on those fragile zombie skulls.
Last Updated: January 25, 2019