I have had my fill of Souls-styled games. I loved my 100 or so hours with the first Dark Souls, but it was physically and emotionally draining stuff. Dark Souls 2 was to my mind, not nearly as good, and has very much killed my appetite for games of its ilk. If these rumours pertaining to Bloodborne’s multiplayer are true though, I might be pulled back.
According to an image that features terrible grammar and spelling, some big, exciting changes to the formula are coming. This stuff all comes via a pastebin link (via Reddit), so is very much rumour territory, and could simply be a fan’s wishlist. Apparently, it comes from the same sources as the original, since confirmed, Project Beast rumours, so there may be some veracity to it.
Here’s what the thing says, with its original terrible English intact:
- Players will have choice to make early on in the game, their decision will effect multiplayer – Decision to infect blood with to different strain of the sickness. There are rewards for choices but also downsides.
- Miyazaki-san wants players to feel the fear of having a disease that could consume them, and take their life.This is a ‘hardcore’ mode for NG like a ‘permadeath’.
- Players must to collect blood for their Heart. If they loose Heart strength for too long, the sickness consumes them.
- Players must collect Blood Vials and Blood Packs to transfuse their heart health at their Shrine.
- The sickness transforms dead hunters into their worst fear.
- You can summon friends via PS4 friendslist
- You can no longer use consumable item for healing if you summon friend for boss battle.
- ALPHA will be a co op boss battle, and some simple pvp invasion covenant testing.
- In some covenant, the sickness is very strong and player can choose to ‘consume’ his own heart. This is a permanent choice and binds a character to the covenant permanently. You become beast, and new controls and attacks open up. Dead hunters will bind to the world when they die, their bodies becoming a regular ‘mini beast’ boss enemy within the world like Red Phantom from dark souls. – In NG, you may become a boss later in the game if you collect enough blood to strengthen you heart. – Covenant system is not finalized, but some detail I remember. There will be ‘huge beasts’ in the game.
- If you defeat them you have a choice to become a host for their strain of the sickness at your Shrine. You must invade other player worlds to collect blood for your beast. In NG, The Beast heart will gets stronger from blood and other players will have to fight much harder to kill it. One beast is a giant spider, another is a giant snake.
This all seems rather dubious, but the potential to invade other players’ games as a boss character is just too enticing to not ignore this wholesale. I like that you may be able to summon friends using your friends list, but i think that being unable to use healing items as a result seems too harsh – but just the sort of thing that sadistic Miyazaki would dream up.
Here’s some off screen gameplay out of TGS.
Last Updated: September 26, 2014