This year sees the 25th anniversary of the seminal Street Fighter series. The classic fighting game franchise is one that’s close to my heart – and I can’t even fathom how many twenty and fifty cent pieces I’ve put in to Street Fighter arcade cabinets, or the innumerable hours I’ve lost to home versions of the game. Capcom’s celebrating the anniversary of one of its biggest cash cows with style – by releasing a Street Fighter collector’s set that has just about everything a Street fighter fan should own.
The staggering 15-disc collection contains new and old Street Fighter games, a collection of Street Fighter videos, 25 years worth of Street Fighter music, an art book – and more.
Here’s what the $149 collection will contain:
- Past and Present Street Fighter Games – Playable on current gen PS3 and Xbox 360 console systems, the four critically-acclaimed titles selected from the star-studded catalog are: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition, Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition with all costume DLC, and Street Fighter X Tekken including all character and Swap Costume DLC.
- Exclusive Video – The two-disc Blu-Ray set includes a documentary that highlights the profound influence the franchise has had on fans – and vice versa – throughout the years. The collection of videos also includes Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV Anime movies as well as all episodes of the Street Fighter animated series and Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie.
- Light-up Ryu Statue – A specially commissioned and highly-detailed collectable Ryu statue stands prominently at 8″ tall and features the iconic character in mid-Shoryuken, with flames lit from below.
- 11-Disc Soundtrack – Street Fighter game music spanning the past 25 years, in addition to remixes and fan-created music inspired by past Street Fighter games .
- 64-page Hardcover Art Book – A tribute to Street Fighter game fans from all over the world, the art book includes fan pieces submitted by professional and aspiring artists alike.
- Ryu’s Belt – Created to regulation specs, the full-size martial arts black belt is a replica of the one Ryu wears and even includes his classic “F?rinkazan” in kanji!
- Certificate of Authenticity – Each Collector’s Set comes individually numbered complete with a certificate of authenticity.
That’s a lot of stuff! I’m particularly tickled by all the video content, which includes the Street Fighter II animated movie (though I could give the terrible animated series a skip), though I do think it should include the awful, but fun and campy live action suck-fest starring Jean Claude Van Damme. I’m also a little disappointed that the games included in the collection are just the Street Fighter games that are already available on current gen systems. It would have been nice if it included some of the less commonly available games, like Super Gem Fighter, the excellent Alpha/Zero games or even the akira developed EX games. A more modern take on the amalgamated Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition that graced the PlayStation 2 in 2004 – which allowed you to use different iterations of characters from the many, many versions of Street Fighter II would have been nice as well.
Still, if you’re a fan, this is a must have – even if it’ll leave your wallet feeling a little bruised and battered. We’ve contacted the local Capcom representation to se if it’ll be available locally – and will keep you updated.
I can’t really believe it’s been 25 years already; I feel…old.
Last Updated: May 24, 2012