From the diary of Sir Hammerlock, Day 137: My attempts last night to ease my biological need to either buy more monocles or attract a fetching mate, were less than successful last night. With the Queen eye for the fine guy shop closed, I headed towards a bar, wherein I attempted to flirt with a rather fascinating lass in blue hair. Several hours later, I awoke, with broken bones and cybernetics, after she had used me as a human piñata to demonstrate her exceedingly powerful Siren abilities to the ruffians present.
One of six Sirens present in the galaxy at any given time, Maya uses her phase-lock ability to capture enemies in a bubble of supernatural carnage, effectively making her the mage class of the game. However, unlike other such classes, Maya is stuck in just one role, as she operates like a Swiss Army Knife of death, healing and team support.
Here’s a look at the deadly, deadly skills that she possesses.
Motion focuses on controlling the battlefield, brainwashing enemies and avoiding damage through bullet reflection. The following skills within this tree are:
- Ward – +5% Shield Capacity and -8% Shield Recharge Delay per level.
- Accelerate – 3% Gun Damage and +4% Bullet Speed per level.
- Suspension – Increases the duration of Phase-lock by 0.5s per level.
- Kinetic Reflection – Kill Skill. Killing an enemy causes you to deflect bullets against nearby enemies, reducing damage to you by 10% and dealing 20% damage per level for a short time.
- Fleet – Your Movement Speed increases by 10% per level while your shields are depleted.
- Inertia – Kill Skill. Killing an enemy regenerates 0.8% of your Shield per second and increases your Reload Speed by 10% per level for a short time.
- Converge – Your Phase-lock ability now also pulls nearby enemies toward the original target.
- Quicken – Increases the Cooldown Rate of your Phase-lock’s Ability by 6% per level.
- Sub-Sequence – When an enemy dies under the effects of Phase-lock, there is a chance for your Phase-lock to seek out and affect another target (20% chance per level).
- Thought-lock – Phase-lock causes enemies to switch allegiance and fight amongst themselves. Additionally, Phase-lock’s duration and cooldown is increased (3s and 4s respectively).
Harmony is a tree that is tailored towards health and restoration, perfect for team players who understand the healing power of bullets.
- Mind’s Eye – +5% Critical Hit Damage and +6% Melee Damage per level.
- Sweet Release – Killing an enemy who is currently Phase-locked creates 1 Life Orb per level which automatically seeks out and heals you and your friends. The healing is stronger when you or your friend’s health is low (up to 15% per Orb, does not increase with level).
- Restoration – +3% Maximum Health and attack allies to heal them for 6% of the attack damage per level.
- Wreck – +10% Fire Rate and +6% Damage with guns per level while you have an enemy Phase-locked.
- Elated – You and your friends regenerate 1% health per second per level while you have an enemy Phase-locked.
- Recompense – Taking Health damage has a 10% chance per level of dealing an equal amount of damage to your attacker.
- Res – You can instantly revive a friend in Fight for Your Life by using Phase-lock on him/her.
- Sustenance – Regenerate 0.4% of your missing Health per second per level.
- Life Tap – Kill Skill. Killing an enemy gives you 1.2% Life Steal per level for a short while.
- Scorn – Melee Override. Press [melee] to throw an Orb of Slag that constantly damages enemies near it. This ability has a 18 second cooldown. Pressing [melee] when Scorn is on cooldown will perform a regular melee attack.
The Captain Planet skill tree. Cataclysm focuses on elemental attacks, powering them up, while also providing several boosts to your usual damage dealing abilities.
- Flicker – +6% Elemental Effect Chance per level.
- Foresight – Increases Magazine Size and Reload Speed with all weapon types. +4% Magazine Size and +5% Reload Speed per level.
- Immolate – Adds +10% Damage per level as Fire Damage to all shots fired when in Fight For Your Life.
- Helios – Phase-locking an enemy causes a fiery explosion, damaging all nearby enemies. +1 Helios Damage Rank per level.
- Chain Reaction – While you have an enemy Phase-locked all of your bullets that hit enemies have a 8% chance per level to ricochet and hit another nearby enemy.
- Backdraft – Your melee attacks deal additional Fire Damage. Also, when your shields become depleted you create a fiery explosion, damaging nearby enemies. Your shields must fully recharge between explosions. +1 Backdraft Damage Rank per level.
- Cloud Kill – Shooting an enemy creates a lingering Acid Cloud, which lasts for 5 seconds, dealing constant Corrosive Damage to enemies who touch it. Only one Acid Cloud can be active at a time.
- Reaper – You deal +8% increased Gun Damage per level to any enemy who has more than 50% of his health remaining.
- Blight Phoenix – Kill Skill. Killing an enemy causes you to deal constant Fire and Corrosive Damage to nearby enemies for a short time. The damage is based on your Level and the Level of the Blight Phoenix.
- Ruin – Action Skill Augmentation. Phase-lock now slags, corrodes and electrocutes all nearby enemies.
Other interesting facts about Maya: Apparently, being a Siren is a crime, which is why she has a bounty of $720 000 000 000 on her blue-haired head. As for one of her skills, Converge, it contains the following text, lifted straight from the classic film Monty Python and The Holy Grail, “Gather thine enemies together that thou mayest blow them to tiny bits”.
Last Updated: September 11, 2012