There’s a great big patch for Halo: the master chief collection that was supposed to fix everything – especially the game’s rather broken matchmaking system. Since release, players have struggled to get in to matches in the game’s expansive multiplayer mode. That patch is out, weighs in at 1.6GB…and still doesn’t let players play the online multiplayer shooter against other people.
The patch does help smooth out the game’s otherwise laggy user interface, but the biggest, most important part and most anticipated bit of the patch does not a damned thing. The game’s official forums and the Reddit thread are awash with people complaining that they’re still unable to get in to games. When people do get in to games, many report that they’re still faced with uneven teams.
Here are the changes that were meant to be made to matchmaking:
- Addressed a number of issues that resulted in extended matchmaking times and low matchmaking success rates.
- Made a number of updates to how matchmaking progress is communicated to the player. With this update, you’ll see better, more frequent and more informative status updates throughout the matchmaking flow – so “Players Found” for example, will be displayed to let players know where they are in the matchmaking process instead of simply wondering if it’s going to connect.
- The improved matchmaking flow is as follows: * Searching * Searching for more players * Players found * Finalizing matchmaking process * Connecting session
- Made an update to ensure that parties stick together when returning from the post-game carnage report
- Prevented the ability for players “kick” other players from matchmaking games
- Made an update to ensure that the Roster correctly displays the “searching” UI rather than “My Game Session” while searching for players
- Removed the possibility to boost ranking through a custom games exploit
- Made an update to ensure that players cannot get stuck in the matchmaking screen during map voting
- Made an update to ensure that the “Connecting to your game” message no longer incorrectly displays in the lower right of the screen during gameplay
- Made an update to the “team creation” phase that allows players to be grouped by team
- Made an update to prevent players from seeing the “connection failed” dialogue if disconnected during the map voting screen
- Improved roster / matchmaking lobby stability
- Made improvements to the accuracy and stability of the “Game Session Details” UI
- Improved version compatibility
Like Advanced Warfare, this is another mostly online multiplayer shooter that’s been left with its biggest feature broken. Have you been having issues with Halo’s Master Chief Collection?
Last Updated: November 21, 2014