If I had a beer right now, I’d be drowning my sorrows in it. According to the NPD, who’ve collated all their data, Wii Play is the best selling game in the last 15 years.
Of course it’s gained this accolade through a technicality, with it being a collection of godawful mini-games bundled with a Wiimote – but it’s a record that’ll stand. Other Nintendo efforts that did particularly good business were Wii Fit coming in at 5, and and Mario Kart Wii at 6. Pretty impressive considering it managed those sales on just one platform.
Particularly well represented was The Call of Duty franchise, with Modern Warfare 2 in at 4th – especially impressive considering it’s only been out a few month, and that the NPD pretty much ignores PC sales. The original Modern Warfare claims the 7th spot, with World at War getting the penultimate spot in the top ten.
The second best selling game was another Activision property, Guitar Hero III : Legends of Rock. It is notably the only rhythm game in the tope ten, and with sales in that particular genre on the decline, likely to remain so. Bronze goes to the last fun GTA game (Please stop throwing stones at me!), Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
The last spot on the list is taken by Namco Museum, a collection of retro arcade games that managed this by appearing on 13 platforms, including the N64 and Dreamcast. Conspicuously absent? Anything with the word â€œHaloâ€ in it. Notice anything else that you’d expect to be there?
- Wii Play (Wii)
- Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox 360)
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Xbox)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3, Xbox 360)
- Wii Fit (Wii)
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3, Xbox 360, DS)
- Madden NFL 07 (PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2, PSP, DS, GC, GBA, Wii)
- Call of Duty: World at War (PS3, Xbox 360, DS, Wii)
- Namco Museum (DC, GBA, PS2, GC, Xbox, PSP, N64, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP, PS, Xbox 360)
Source : Gamasutra
Last Updated: January 20, 2010