New year, new flagship phone. The only thing that really changes? The jaw-dropping numbers attached to the price tag of each device, as flagship smartphones happen to cost an arm, a leg and several organs lately. Not everyone can afford to hop into a shop and walk out with the latest annual iteration of a smartphone, let alone afford the monthly contract that these devices come on.
Then again, not everyone has to. In the years since Samsung, Apple and Huawei rose to prominence, there has been a middle ground of phones which offer plenty of bang for buck. Xiaomi might just have the very best phone in that category, a well-priced piece of consumer technology that knows what it wants to be: Affordable, stylish and packed with enough features that border on superfluous.
After all, how much tech do you really need? A solid build to house the internals, a sharp screen and a reliable camera is all that people really desire these days. Here’s what’s under the hood Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S:
- Type – IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16 million colours
- Size – 5.99 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~81.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution – 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~403 ppi density)
- Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver)
- Adreno 630
- Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845
- Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass
- Li-Ion 3400 mAh battery
- Wireless charging
- 256 GB, 8 GB RAM or 64/128 GB, 6 GB RAM
- Dual: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1/2.55″, 1.4 µm) + 12 MP (f/2.4, 1/2.9″, 1.0 µm)
- 2x optical zoom, dual pixel phase detection autofocus
- 4-axis OIS, dual-LED dual-tone flash
That’s not just excellent, that’s comparable to some of the top phones on the market today.It’s a huge leap over the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, especially in the camera department. Here’s how it stacks up to Apple’s current heavyweight flagship, the iPhone X:
If you’re looking for a quick upgrade, you can grab a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S on pre-order for just under R8000 from Gearbest.
Last Updated: April 16, 2018