Well would you look at the time? By now we should have had the GI Joe sequel on DVD, but plans changed last year when the film got pushed back nine months for reshoots and extra dimensions. There’ve been plenty of rumours in the interim as to why this was done, from Paramount not having much faith in director Jon Chu through to a need for the film to capitilise on the magic muscles of magic Mike himself, Channing Tatum.
But according to producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura, you can scratch that last rumour off the cards.
“No, that is a complete rumor,” Bonaventura said to Crave Online. “I don’t know where that started. Literally, Channing shot for – if I have it wrong, I’m off by an hour – four hours, five hours? So it wasn’t really about that at all.”
Bonaventura says that since the film got pushed back, the cast returned for a total filming schedule of three days, which is kind of at odds with previous reports which had the estimate at a couple of weeks instead. Still, checking out earlier trailers, it would appear that Tatum’s character of Duke had a bullseye painted on his chest, possibly dying in the opening scene when the terrorist organisation Cobra makes a bold attack on the Joe HQ of the Pit.
But with a newfound popularity, even if Tatum has a diminished screen presence, a quick rewrite could see the soldier less KIA and more MIA instead, setting up a return in a possible third film. Because money.
GI Joe 3: Retaliation is out in March, and also stars the kung fu grips of Bruce Willis, Dwayne Johnson, D.J. Cotrona, Byung-hun Lee, Adrianne Palicki, Ray Park, Jonathan Pryce and Ray Stevenson.
Last Updated: January 15, 2013