Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- That Bryan Singer is such a tease (and no, that’s not some poor taste jab at his current legal troubles). The X-Men man took to instagram to tease a draft of the script to the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse and in so doing gave us the briefest of glimpses as the film’s prologue, which will seemingly be taking us back to what was seen in the X-Men: Days of Future Past‘s end-credits sequence.
- If us Firefly fans think we have enough reason to hate Fox for prematurely cancelling that show, then Hieroglyph fans must be getting ready to burn tires in the streets right about now. Pacific Rim writer Travis Beacham’s fantasy drama series, which followed a thief picked from prison to serve the Pharaoh in an ancient Egypt where the mythological was very real, had been greenlighted for a 13-episode first season which was scheduled to air in the 2014/2015 season. But the chop-heavy network has already cancelled the show before a single episode has even made it to the airwaves.
Only the film’s first episode had been fully shot already and the writers were still busy with the rest of the episodes’ scripts, but these apparently didn’t meet Fox’s creative standards. Based on Fox’s cancellation track record, this probably meant that Hieroglyph would have been awesome.
- Poster of the Day: Official Guardians of the Galaxy IMAX poster
- Smoking is very harmful to your health and the health of people around you, and to be quite honest, I consider it an absolutely filthy habit that my sinuses wish would just go away completely. But it does make certain characters look f@#$ing cool though. Case in point, DC Comics’ magic man John Constantine, who will soon be casting a spell on the small screen. Except, you probably shouldn’t expect to see the trenchcoat wearing Constantine puffing any smoke as pilot episode director Neil Marshall has revealed.
“No we’re not (smoking). It’s the one thing, a compromise I guess. On network it’s the one thing, you can’t smoke on network. That’s one of his character traits. We’re working around that. We’re trying to get aspects of it in there as much as possible. We’ll see …
Hannibal is on NBC, and that’s pretty dark and disturbing. Whatever the regulations are, you can be as dark and disturbing as you want and we’re going to go in that direction. The intention is to be as dark and scary as possible with the show. And that was our whole kind of plan going in, to make it scary. So we’re going to explore all kinds of things. But the smoking is very frustrating. Who knows where it will go; where the story will go; where the character will go. There’s still lots of options.”
- You guys can stop trying, Kelsey Grammer just won the Internet for today. The Frasier star has finally joined Twitter and immediately appointed himself as the social media network’s Grammar Police to hilarious effect.
- I’m not going to lie, this Transformers Ultimate Mash-Up Trailer clip from JoBlo, which combines all the best/explosive moments from the trailers for all four of Michael Bay’s giant robot films, is like hardcore porn to Darryn. So whatever you do, don’t shake his hand after he’s seen this.
- Speaking of Transformers, today I learned that Japan has a canonical manga called Transformers Kiss Players, which is rather disturbing to say the least. Once again, Darryn is probably already a subscriber.
- Here you go, ladies and gentlemen! The first pic of Henry Cavill in costume for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice!
Hey, I didn’t say which costume! That’s Cavill dressed up – if you can even call that dressing up – as Superman’s civilian identity Clark Kent, as part of a special fundraiser he did for the The Royal Marine Charitable Trust Fund.
- Even if the only time you actually sit down to watch a Rom-Com is when your significant other forces you at no-sexual-relations point, there are still lots of very cool factoids divulged in Buzzfeed’s list of 53 Surprising Facts About Your Favourite Romantic Comedies. My personal fave of the list has to be that Dustin Hoffman’s video store cameo in The Holiday wasn’t planned, he just happened to be driving past the Blockbuster where it was being filmed, wondered what the commotion was and wandered in.
- With the FIFA World Cup going down in Brazil, everybody is currently going football crazy. Including Hollywood. Writer-director Darryl Wharton-Rigby’s action thriller script, Wall Pass, which is inspired by the current real life financial drama surrounding Ghana’s football, has been optioned by Bugeater Films.
For the 3 of you not following the World Cup and who don’t know, before being knocked out of the competition recently, the Ghanaian team were threatening to not even compete after they revealed that they had not been paid the appearance fees they had been promised. To keep the country in the biggest sporting event in the world, Ghana’s government had to hurriedly send a plane containing $3 million in cash to Brazil to prevent the player strike.
Wharton-Rigby’s script will take things a bit further, with a single courier being entrusted to get the $3 million across the Atlantic to a striking Ghanaian team before their next match . When the courier is hijacked and the money stolen, he is left with 12 hours before the scheduled kickoff to track down and recover the loot, or have his country face embarrassment on the world stage.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger doing comedy is a concept that turned out far better than it sounded on paper. That being said, I’m sure that some of you would have preferred if he had stuck to his badass action man persona instead of going all family friendly. And it’s precisely for you that this was created: Jingle All the Way – How It Should Have Been.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: July 1, 2014