Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I don’t know about you guys, but I was kind of excited when I heard that there would be a new X-Men series on the way. I was less excited however, when I couldn’t find the word “animated” in any of those headlines. While the series hopefully won’t be as terrible as the easily forgettable Mutant X, I am hoping that it will mutate some DNA from the classic animated series starring the children of tomorrow, into a catchy intro like this:
- Hey, there’s a new Lewis and Clark series on the way! And this one has nothing to do with the marriage troubles of Superman and Lois Lane! Nope, instead viewers will be getting their Klondike on in a new series that followers the famed explorers who helped chart the land west of the Mississipi River. And introduced the natives to the American custom of negotiating with bullets. Currently envisioned as a six-part mini-series in HBO, Lewis and Clark will star Casey Affleck and Matthias Schoenaerts in the lead roles, with Tom Hanks, Bradd Pitt and Edward Norton exectuive producing.
Poster Of The Day: Army Of Darkness
- There’s a special place in hell for people who post spoilers online. Like that jerkass who ruined Sons Of Anarchy for me. While I’m still lobbying hard for parliament to make it legal for such crime to be punished with blunt trauma to the skull, hopefully the American congress can make better progress on the matter than I can.
- Let’s be honest here: A lot of folks are going to go watch the upcoming 50 Shades Of Grey movie, hoping for some solid high quality porn. And ball-gags. I’m not one to judge however, as I’m from the internet and opening up a pop-up ad reveal far worse these days than an entire library of that softcore reading material. Still, tons of people are interested in the sexy side of the film. And ScreenRant just happens to have a detailed rundown of all anticipated sex scenes that’ll make it into the film, straight from the book and oh my crap I can’t believe I walked into my mother reading this novel I’m traumatised for life.
- After watching the rather fantastic Fury, I’m amped for David Ayer’s upcoming Suicide Squad movie. Taking to the Twitters, Ayer’s showed off this image, on top of the secret script for the flick:Paperwork
— David Ayer (@DavidAyerMovies) January 29, 2015
- If you’re wondering if that revealed anything, then ehre’s the skinny: it did. Joblo spotted that the comic covering that particular script happened to be from the debut New 52 run, wherein the squad got a new origin and job as government black ops killers: The story begins with the Suicide Squad defeated, imprisoned and being interrogated about their newest mission. Harley Quinn, King Shark, Deadshot and company must make it out alive without revealing who’s pulling the strings behind their illegal operations. Who will be the first to crack under the pressure? More importantly will they make it all out alive?That’s actually a pretty psychological run with some great action, that saw the Squad plunged into a first mission that wasn’t just suicidal, but damn near impossible. It also featured plenty of Harley Quinn, which is never ever a bad thing.
- True story: The original uniforms worn in Star Trek: The Next Generation were hot, itchy and overall smelly garments that made being on set a living hell. This far more fashionable (and expensive) alternative however boldly goes where no fashion model has before. I must have it. Make it so.
- Another day, another fresh round of Star Wars rumours. This time, it sounds like Orphan Black star Tatania Maslany has been cast as the lead in an upcoming spin-off that is set to be delivered between main films. Personally, I’m hoping that it involves a batch of discarded female clonetroopers, who jet off and happen to help save the day from various scum and villainy. I haven’t come up with a name for this idea of mine yet, but I’m certain that it is totally original.
- There’s a lot of love for the current Flash TV series, and most of that is aimed at Grant Gustin, who carries the show easily and with some much-needed enthusiasm. We’ll be seeing more of the scarlet speedster in an upcoming film, but it won’t be Gustin that’s suiting up. Instead, it’ll be Ezra Miller as the fastest man alive, a role that he was pretty much offered right out of the blue by director Zack Snyder:
“[My agent] says, ‘I have Zack Snyder on the phone, and he wants to talk to you about this DC Universe thing’. And so [Snyder] got on the phone, and he’s just gung ho. He’s in it. He’s completely involved. And he starts talking about how I’m going to play The Flash. And I was just in this state of shock and disbelief. I’ve seen Snyder around, and the guy can be pretty intimidating. So when Snyder tells you to don the spandex, you better do as you’re damn well told.”
- Even though she is kind of responsible for crippling Charles Xavier and jinxing his hairline in X-Men First Class, I kinda still dug the plucky Rose Byrne as Moira MacTaggart. She was absent in Days Of Future Past, but it looks like she’ll be making a comeback in X-Men: Apocalypse. And hopefully with enough sense to not shoot bullets at a mutant who happens to have absolutely precise control over metal and the magnetic field spectrum itself. No, I mean seriously, at what point did the idea of “Lemme throw bullets at a guy who calls himself Magneto” ever sound practical?
- Hey Disney! You own both Star Wars and the Avengers. Now I’m not saying that putting Darth Vader in the Avengers sequel is a brilliant idea, but C’MON! DO IT FOR THE KIDS! AND MERCHANDISING!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: February 2, 2015