Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Congratulations to the lady behind this astounding Battlestar Galactica Cylon Centurion cosplay. She most definitely wins the Internet for today.
- And if that Cylon was the Internet winner, then let me present to you the runner-up, with this incredibly Marty McFly costume, complete with hoverboard.
- Speaking of people dressing up, Disney have announced that they have already sold over 3 million Frozen costumes – specifically the princess dresses worn by Elsa and Anna – in North America this year. It seems that people will not let it go, after all.
- Now that Matthew McConaughey has had some jaunts in our future in Interstellar, he’s decided to also check out our past. The Oscar winner is teaming up with director Gary Ross (The Hunger Games, Seabiscuit) for a new true-story US Civil War drama called The Free State of Jones. The film will tell of an extraordinary but little known bit of Civil War lore surrounding Newton Knight, a defector from the Confederate Army who led guerrilla attacks against his former army. Knight would go on to marry a former black slave – mixed race marriages were unheard of in the South back then – and started a rebellion that freed several slave children. His most unique achievement though was that after he defected, he “banded together with a group of like-minded soldiers, and set out to form their own State known as the Free State Of Jones”, from which they would mount raids.
- Poster of the day: Sharknado 3 (Most honest poster tagline ever?)
- Damn it! Channing Tatum’s cunning ploy to get me to like him just keeps on working. The latest tactic he’s using against me in the longest of plays, is that it looks like he will be joining the cast of Quentin Tarantino’s (now infamous) western The Hateful Eight. Just who Tatum will be playing in the ensemble is unclear, but the role is said to be “major”.
- Ever since there was barely more than a twinkle of a prospect that Marvel was going to do a live-action Captain Marvel movie, I’ve been calling for the role to go to Katee Sackhoff. She’s still my first choice, but since Marvel made the movie official recently, I’ve seen a number of other actresses names being offered up as alternatives. One of them that stands out of the bunch is Vikings star Katheryn Winnick. Not only is she a great actress that perfectly matches up with Marvel’s usual casting strategy (is established but not that well known) but she’s a fully licensed bodyguard who has black belts (the first of which she got when she just 13) in different martial arts, so you know she can handle the physical stuff. And after seeing this photoshopped fan-art of her in the Captain Marvel costume – even with a hairstyle very close to Carol Danvers’ signature look – I have to say that Marvel would be really silly to not give her a look.
- One of the serious Oscar contenders for next year is Alejandro Gonzales Innaritu’s Birdman, not just for Michael Keeton’s apparent career best meta-performance as a washed out actor, most famous for playing a movie superhero in his youth, now trying to make a comeback, but also because of the way Innaritu has made the film look like one single-take with no cuts. While not physically impossible to achieve, a full length film comprised of just a single take would a logistically improbable, which is why the director resorted to some really sneaky and innovative ways of pulling off the effect as revealed in this featurette.
- Just when you thought they couldn’t get any dumber, Dumb and Dumber To co-writer/director Peter Farrelly has revealed that he’d definitely be up to do a third film surrounding Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels’ pair of living brain-donors if the upcoming sequel is well received.
“Depending how this does, I could see doing another. I just really enjoy this movie and working with those guys. Yeah, I could see doing it again.”
SO YOU’RE TELLING ME THERE’S A CHANCE?!
- And while on the subject of idiotic on-screen duos… After teaming up for the hilarious The Other Guys, Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell are looking to collaborate again for another comedy titled Daddy’s Home. Directed by Sean Anders (Horrible Bosses 2, That’s My Boy), the flick will follow “a mild-mannered radio executive (Ferrell) who strives to become the best stepdad to his wife’s two children, but complications ensue when their freewheeling and freeloading real father (Wahlberg) arrives, forcing him to compete for the affection of the kids.”
- Yes, I know I’m a bit delayed with this, what with it being Guy Fawkes yesterday! But I blame stupid time zone differences for the folks at CinemaSins only putting out the video for Everything Wrong With V for Vendetta this morning. So now you just need to remember, remember to pretend it’s the 5th of November.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: November 6, 2014