Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I was planning on posting a few new pics for the Paddington Bear movie, but thanks to the geniuses of the internet, who saw the potential in one pic in particular, we have something infinitely better to show you. So ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Paddington Bear/horror movie mash-up you’ve all been waiting for. I give you, Creepy Paddington.
- Damn, it Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter! You had enough damn problems already, and now you’ve gone and started a trend that has resulted in Marilyn Monroe: Zombie Hunter, a movie that reimagines the “incredible Hollywood icon as a cool samurai sword-wielding, kick-ass assassin summoned by our President to be humanity’s last hope against zombie domination.” I totally wish I was making this up.
- Poster of the Day: The Interview (in which Seth Rogen and James Franco play a TV talk show duo who get involved in a plot to assassinate the leader of North Korea)
- So that trailer that debuted this morning for Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For was first unveiled by Miller himself over self-proclaimed front page of the internet, Reddit. After posting up the vid though, Miller decided to stick around and answer a number of questions surrounding his movies and comics.
- And seeing as we have a new The Lion King animated series on the way, we may as well take a look back at Disney’s super successful classic. And I mean an honest look, of course.
- Remember Star Wars: Underworld, TV series that had been in development for years (even going so far as to have the scripts for all of it’s episodes already written), and was supposed to give a mature, gritty take on the universe, but then got scrapped because it would have been too pricy? Well, some details about the show’s super secret scripts have finally come to light. According to one of the writers who worked on the project before the plug got pulled, the show was to feature a young Han Solo, delving into key moments of his backstory like his first meeting with a young Chewbacca and winning the Millennium Falcon off Lando in Sabacc game.
Somehow, I get the feeling that we’re going to be seeing all of this material in one of the spinoff-films, probably the one helmed by Josh Trank.
- The writer mentioned as the source of info in the point above is Stephen Scaia. He’s also penned a Y:The Last Man adaptation, but it’s what he’s trying to do next that’s of interest. The above Star Wars: Underworld info came to light while Scaia was talking about Army of the Lost Horizon, an Indiana Jones spinoff fan film that Scaia and his well established cast and crew are trying to get off the ground via Kickstarter. The film is set to follow Indy’s daughter, Anna Ying, as she tries to track down her whip-snapping, fedora wearing archeologist father, who has gone missing and is presumed dead.
At the time of writing, the Kickstarter campaign had already exceeded its $15 000 dollar goal with a $17 488 haul, and there are still 29 days to go.
- Get ready for a *ahem* non-stop stream of sequels, as producer Joel Silver has revealed that he’s already thinking of a sequel to recent “Liam Neeson Punching People On a Plane” thriller, Non-stop, which would put Neeson’s Air Marshall Bill Hicks in a similar situation. Because reasons.
“I need to think of a way to put them in an equal situation. But when I make a sequel I like to replicate the experience, not replicate the movie. I’m not going to put them on a plane again, of course. He has a touch of Sherlock Holmes in that he has to figure out what’s going on and then he has to figure out how to solve it. I think that character’s a great character and we’ll try to figure something else to do. I haven’t thought about it yet. But I have to, sooner or later.”
Did they learn nothing from the lame cash-in that was Taken 2?
- I’ve never really been a fan of Big Bang Theory, but I would never miss a single second of a single episode if Simon Helberg were to spend the entire time doing his incredible Nicolas Cage impersonation.
- Damn, that Dwayne Johnson. As if it’s not enough that he already has ALL DA MUSCLEZ!, he now apparently has to have all the attractive ladies as well. Aussie soap star turned singer turned actress turned object of many a young lad’s perverted obsessions in the 90’s Kylie Minogue will be joining “The Rock” in his new film San Andreas, the new earthquake disaster film which already boasts Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario on its cast.
- When it comes to Marvel scoops, the folks at Latino Review have had a track record patchier than a 1990’s leather jacket, which is why you should probably take their latest scoop with a Hulk-sized helping of salt. However, these SPOILER-filled leaked plot details for Avengers: Age of Ultron, which I’ve very, very lightly skimmed because SPOILERS, do seem to have a feel of authenticity about them. Especially since they line up with other little tidbits we’ve heard so far. Like I said though, SPOILERS!
- Ever wondered what Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban would have been like if it was directed by Guy Ritchie instead of Alfonso Cuaron? Of course you haven’t, but you’re about to find out anyway. So put the kettle on, Harrold! Sharpish!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: June 12, 2014