Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Dear small town America: If you see a fella with a face like an arse, an Irish vampire who drinks far too much and a Texas preacher delivering the word of the lord with fists of righteous indignation, worry not. It’s not the apocalypse but the very opposite in fact as Preacher has finally begun filming. And Seth Rogen is pretty damn excited about that:
— Seth Rogen (@Sethrogen) May 13, 2015
- Ever wondered what Frozen would have been like if it were made with zero bucks, less creepy CGI and actual people? Well you can finally let that idea go, because here’s what I was talking about in the previous sentence that I’ve already forgotten about:
- The North American box office may lead the world in ticket sales, but China is ready to take over any day now. It’s a trend that various studios have noticed, with Iron Man 3 and Transformers 4 leveraging that market to spectacular results. Want to know what doesn’t help a film sell well in that market however? Comically terrible subtitles, that’s what:
…Iron Man tries to rally the troops to fight to the death with the line “We may not make it out of this,” but for some reason this is translated in Chinese as “Let’s back off now.”
…When Captain America gives some advice by saying “You get hurt, hurt ’em back. You get killed… walk it off,” it comes across in Chinese as “Run fast if someone tries to kill you.”At one point, Captain America says in the film, “I’m home,” which was translated as “I’m good,” Chinese webizens have pointed out. At another point, a line about having to wait too long becomes “I am very old” in Chinese.
According to news web site Nanfang, the phrase “son of a bitch” becomes “my old, familiar partner.”
Man, the eventual bootleg version is going to be massively confusing. Moreso than usual.
- I’m not a massive Quentin Tarantino fan. Not by a long-shot. But even I’ve got to admire his artistic use of gratuitous gore and violence in his various flicks. And buddy, you’re about to find yourself drenched in the ol’ crimson moneyshot in this particular supercut:
- X-Men Apocalypse is in full production swing right now, and the marketing department is getting ready to do something mutant-related. Bah, it’s Thursday. I’m all juiced out, like a bodybuilder who fell into a bed of pins. Here’s a new photo from the set, showing a bunch of goons hunting down Magneto and using a tactic of being advocating for many years now. It’s called “Hit with stick”.
- Jaeger of the day: By John Liberto. I call it Baguette Liberte/Lancer Escargot/Truffle Trouble.
- When Marvel wants you to direct a movie, you don’t exactly have long to make a decision. Phase 3 is merely beginning for the big Marvel U, with several directors being sought for several high-profile projects. And right now, the rumour mill says that Ava DuVernay may direct Captain Marvel instead of Black Panther, with Rick “Dope” Famuyiwa handling the favourite son of Wakanda. Dope news yo.
The news, which comes from Rope of Silicon adds that: “… insiders tell The Wrap that Marvel is keen to hire an African-American director for Black Panther and a female filmmaker for Captain Marvel. DuVernay checks both those boxes and would be a very interesting choice.”
- Ladies and gentlemen, we live in a dark time. A time so fraught with fear and horror, that Australia’s agriculture minister, Barnaby Joyce, has declared a “war on terrier” on actor Johnny Depp’s dogs, which were alledgedly smuggled in Oz. Well Joyce ain’t having none of that, and has promptly told Depp that his beloved pooches need to “bugger off” on back to the US or risk a bullet to the head.
In other news, I may just have the perfect plot to pitch for John Wick: The Wicked of Oz.
- That Daredevil! He get’s knocked down! He gets up again! You ain’t ever gonna keep him down!
- And finally, let’s end the day off with the girl of steel. No, I’m not talking about that freaky metal statue that Nick keeps in his cupboard and regularly applies lipstick to, I’m talking about Supergirl. This morning saw a first look at the show, with six minutes of footage that...wasn’t very well-received at all.
Fortunately, this is the age of the internet, so we’ve already got a much better trailer cut together from all that footage. Much, muuuuuuuuuuuuuch better:
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: May 14, 2015