Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- If you’re into cosplay, then this weekend must have seen you developing whiplash as you checked out all the offerings on display. The first came via the rAge Expo held up in Johannesburg, where our very own Darryn got tons of attention as he showed off his abilities to wear a rubber codpiece and not turn his head. Over the pond, we also had the NYCC, which also boasted some incredible cosplay. They may have had a severe lack of sweaty Darryn, but they did have some other badass costumes as this video shows.
- Back before we knew that JJ Abrams was a Star hoarder, the search was frantically on to find a director for Star Wars: Episode VII. One name that the folks at Lucasfilm ended up drawing from a hat was Brad Bird, the Pixar wunderkind who had just made the incredibly successful transition to live-action with Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol. He would have been a perfect choice, so then why did JJ end up with the gig? As so often in life, it came down timing. Also, him this passion project called Tomorrowland (so really. not that often in life after all).
“For a moment there, I thought it would work out to do ‘Tomorrowland’ and go right into it, [but then I realized] it wouldn’t work. There was no way to make that schedule and give this film the attention it deserved. I know it’s going to be terrific and everything, but I’m really happy to do this film. It’s rare to do a film of this size that’s original.”
- Poster of the day: First teaser poster for Jurassic World
- If you’re a fan of the Evil Dead series then you may want to consider moving to New Zealand or Australia. If the fear of hobbits or everything in the wild constantly trying to kill you is too much though, maybe just get a region-free Blu Ray player. Whatever works really, just as long as you get this incredible new Evil Dead Anthology collection that is unfortunately only being released in the aforementioned two countries.
- There’s something brewing over in Star Wars land. According to Making Star Wars, several of the hundreds and hundreds of actors and actresses who auditioned for roles in Star Wars: Episode VII but ended up not making the cut, have now been contacted again by the powers that be over at Lucasfilm. Seems that while they may not have been right for Episode VIi, that doesn’t mean they’re not right for some future Star Wars projects. Could this be the start of casting for the standalone spinoff movies?
- James Franco now has his own coloring book. No, I don’t have any [email protected]#$ing clue as to why either.
- Ladies and gentlemen, I give you… THE ULTIMATE JOHNNY DEPP COSPLAY!!
- Just in case you woke up this morning feeling all spry and full of vim and vigour, Look Who’s Talking came out 25 years ago. Yes, twenty five. We’ll wait for you while you place an order for a Zimmer frame and some new dentures.
- The first rule of Fight Club is that you don’t talk about Fight Club…. unless you can do it with honesty!
- No Country for Old Men and SKyfall star Javier Bardem knows how to play a good bad guy, usually with a ridiculous haircut and some kind of face prosthetic. Well, there will be ample opportunity for both again as the Oscar winning actor is apparently in talks to play the villain in the next Pirates of the Caribbean.
- If there’s something is often forgotten in Hollywood, it’s that unless your story calls for it, you don’t need a butt numbing running time for your movie (Yes, Michael Bay, I’m looking at you and your nearly 3-hour long pyroclastic cloud of wank you call Transformers: Age of Extinction). Case in point: Tuck Me In, a chilling 1-minute long short film that recently won top honours at the Filminute Festival.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: October 15, 2014