Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I hope you brought lots of tissues, because we’re about to have those things that I hear other people get. Yeah, feelings, that’s the the stuff (I think they may be contagious). The cause of this outbreak of feelings is this emotional vid of Vin Diesel introducing the first screening of Furious 7 at the SXSW Fest as a tribute to the late Paul Walker.
Damn these ninjas! Always sneaking up behind me to start chopping onions right under my eyeballs!
- Looks like heads aren’t going to roll in Sleepy Hollow after all! Y’know, coz Sleepy Hollow… Headless Horsmen………. Hello? Anyone still there?…. Aaaaanyway. Despite Sleepy Hollow‘s dramatic season 2 ratings plummet after it was the breakout hit of last year, the show has just been renewed for a third season with a new showrunner being appointed.
- Irrationally racist comic book fans, are you ready?!! The first casting for AMC’s planned Preacher adaptation has been announced with Agents of SHIELD’s Ruth Negga being tapped to play Tulip, the ex-hitwoman sorta-girlfriend of anti-hero Jessi Custer. Negga, if you haven’t noticed, is not the blond hair, pale skinned Tulip seen in the comics, and we know how that worked out for Johnny Storm, right?
- Poster of the day: Am I the only one that thinks this first Spectre poster looks like something out of a male fashion catalogue. Bond looks like he’s modelling somebody’s Fall collection.
- Game of Thrones is about to kick off its fifth season. Maybe you haven’t seen the previous four and are wondering what all the hullabaloo is about, but just don’t have the time to sit through all those episodes? Well, then allow the cast to explain the show to you in just 30 seconds.
- While I agree with their general sentiment, I often find myself either shaking my head in disappointment or pointing and laughing in derision at PETA’s actual acts of activism. Today, I surprisingly find myself doing neither due to this pretty reasonable letter they sent director Tim Burton after it was recently announced that he would be doing a new live-action remake of Disney’s Dumbo.
“We love the original Dumbo because it tells the story of the heartbreaking abuse that elephants in circuses endure, and we hope you will keep this storyline in the new film. A bullhook is a sharp metal weapon used in circuses to control elephants — and it’s the same tool used by elephant trainers in film and television. And just like in the circus, elephants used in film and television don’t perform because they want to. They perform because they’re afraid that they’ll be beaten if they don’t.We’re hopeful that in your adaptation of Dumbo, the young elephant and his mother can have a truly happy ending by living out their lives at a sanctuary instead of continuing to be imprisoned and abused in the entertainment industry. Thank you for your thoughtful consideration.”
- They say an Apple a day keeps the doctor away, but the most we can add to your GP avoidance today is this first unofficial pic of Michael Fassbender as late Apple CEO Steve Jobs in the upcoming Danny Boyle directed Steve Jobs. The pic is of course a recreation of the actual poster used by Jobs to sell his NeXT line of computers.
- This incredibly realistic paper – YES, PAPER! – model of the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars officially wins the Internet for today! I mean, just look at it!
More pics at the link above.
- Are you a fan of Mike Ehrenraut, the bad ass fixer played by Jonathan Banks on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul? Well then you need to send a thank you card to Ted, Barney, Robin and the rest of the gang over on How I Met Your Mother. As explained by Saul himself, Bob Odenkirk, the character of Mike would never have existed if it wasn’t for the (way too) long-running sitcom.
“I promise you I thought I was up for three episodes of Breaking Bad — well, they wanted me for four, but I could only do three ’cause I was in How I Met Your Mother. They actually added the character of Mike because I couldn’t make that fourth week, and they needed another character to get that information across, so that’s amazing right there.”
- We know for a fact that JJ Abrams won’t be back to direct Star Wars: Episode VIII as that gig has now officially been given to Looper‘s Rian Johnson, but according to a new rumour that has popped up, the powers that be are apparently so happy with what Abrams has done on The Force Awakens aka Episode VII that they may just want him back behind the camera for Episode IX. Latino Review are reporting that “there are enough conversations about J.J. Abrams returning to direct Episode IX that we’ve been able to independently verify it four times that his name is the front-runner for the last trilogy installment”.
- Teasers, teasers, come get your teasers! It would seem these days teasers are the norm, I mean we have teasers for trailers now so a teaser for a logo… Wait, what?! Yup, we now have the new Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2 teaser trailer for the logo, which I admit is pretty cool. Have a watch. Does it make you excited for the movie? Well you still have to wait another 8 months, suck it up!
- With it being St. Patrick’s Day the other day, what better way to end of Extras than with a double shot of some Irish cinematic genius! First up, a Leprechaun trailer recut as a Jeniffer Aniston rom-com called St Patrick’s Day, and then an Honest Trailer for the real Leprechaun.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: March 19, 2015