Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Did you check out Max Landis’ idea for Ghostbusters 3? You should, it’s really good. And seeing as the real Ghostbusters 3 has been stuck in development for so long that we’ll probably be ghosts by the time it comes out, it may just be the next best thing. But why do we care so much about the Ghostbusters franchise? Is it the catchy theme song, the perfect balance of humour and scares, the awesome cast chemistry? I mean, would we love it so much if the Ghostbusters were made up of Christopher Walken, Jack Nicholson, Peewee Herman and Bill Cosby?
- Yesterday, we heard the news that the next, still untitled Jeremy Renner led Bourne flick was being pushed back from August 14, 2015 to July 15, 2016. A real bummer, as I am very interested in seeing what new director Justin Lin (Fast and Furious franchise) can do with Renner’s Aaron Cross, but not the biggest news around. And then a story popped up at frequent rumour mongering site Latino Review, where El Mayhimbe claimed to know the reason for the delay: Matt Damon is coming back to reprise his role as Jason Bourne. Mayhimbe claims that his source has been feeding him info for 10 years, and has never once been wrong, and he’s so confident in the validity of this story that he’s challenged Bourne producer Frank Marshall, who regularly debunks these type of rumours on social media, to some sort of public bet over the whole thing
While The Bourne Legacy got a decent-ish response, it wasn’t anywhere as good as Universal expected, so bringing back Damon, who also hasn’t had a bona fide hit in a while, makes a whole lot of sense. The question is, do they just toss Renner out in favour of their franchise golden child, or do they listen to fans and give us the team-up/face-off we’ve been asking for?
- Poster of the day: Bram Stoker’s Dracula
- If you’re a Breaking Bad fan then I’ve got some news and some bad news. Good news: The planned spinoff of the hit show, Better Call Saul, has already been picked up for a second season. Bad news: Instead of kicking off its first season this November, the show has been pushed back to sometime next year. Bitch.
- “I like the way you carve a “Z” on men’s chests, boy!” Quentin Tarantino is planning a sequel to Django Unchained, only it’s not like anything you may have expected! The Oscar winning director is apparently teaming up with producer Reginald Hudlins, and veteran comic book man Matt Wagner (Grendel, The Shadow, Zorro), to create a new Django/Zorro crossover comic book for Dynamite Entertainment. Tarantino and Wagner will co-plot the series, which will see while Hudlin acts as editor. Here’s what Tarantino had to say about the announcement:
“I’m very very excited about both this story and the opportunity to work with Matt. It was reading his Zorro stories that convinced me what a good idea it was to join these two icons together. And the story idea we came up with is thrilling, and I think will be an exciting new chapter for both characters.”
Anybody know if Antonio Banderas is free to do a movie with Jamie Foxx?
- Contrary to popular belief – and years of rap albums where he told us how he going to shoot people dead in broad daylight – Ice Cube seems like a nice guy. He’s just really good at being mean. Even when he has to say nice things.
- We’re not People Magazine, so generally when it comes to an actor’s new hairstyle, we act like a selfish virgin: We just don’t give a [email protected]#k. However, when the hair – or lack thereof – belongs to one of the most famous characters in comics who will soon be portrayed on screen, we listen. Because according to some new rumours, Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, will in fact not be sporting the bald look he’s most famous for. Now it has to be noted that in the comics, Luthor originally did have hair and then lost it, so the same could be happening here. However, that hair was a sort of curly, red, receding hairline mullet thing. According this rumour, Eisenberg won’t even have his usual curly brown hair but will instead be sporting something “a bit longer, kind of loose and wavy, and it’s dirty blonde”.
The rumour goes on to state that this version of Luthor will have “spastic mannerisms, like a 20-something guy that pounds energy drinks all day.” Yes, Lex Luthor is a hyperactive surfer dude.
- It doesn’t matter how cool you are, you will never be young Christian Bale playing an Atari with a popped collar in the 1980’s cool.
- Universal Orlando is about to open up the new extension to their Wizarding World of Harry Potter theme park, the highlight of which is their insanely complex new attraction, the Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts ride. It’ts part rollercoaster, part motion simulator, part 3D movie, part animatronic rid, part interactive event, and it sounds wholly incredible!
- Yay! More epic movie voice trailer prank!
- Top Secret! is in my opinion, the greatest slap stick movie ever made, and if you possess a working brain and beating heart you probably agree. And for all you non-dead people, you need to head over to Screen Crush where they have spoken to the film’s stars and creators, and put together the most comprehensive look at the making of the film, appropriately titled “How Silly Can You Get?”
- Congratulations, ClickHole. You may just produced the best bit of movie related internet trolling I’ve seen in ages with your article on 5 Iconic Movie Scenes That Were Actually Fake.
- We’re just one week away from having our faces Baysploded off again when Transformers: Age of Extinction hits cinemas. Irrespective of what you may think of the Transformers movies themselves, there’s no denying that Michael Bay cuts trailers for them that are so freaking awesome that you can’t help but get a little excited to see them. Case in point: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, a movie so bad that its stars offered a public apology for it, and which still got my and a few million other butts in the cinema based on a fantastic trailer. Maybe if that trailer had been a bit more honest, things would have been different.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: June 20, 2014