Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Peter Dinklage made a song about the dead characters on Game of Thrones. What more reason could you possibly need to click play on this video?
- While I loved Daredevil, I wasn’t the biggest fan of his eventual red/black costume. It just felt over-designed and a bit garish when compared to the simple black outfit before, not to mention the colours/pattern was very similar of Deadpool’s. Also it made star star Charlie Cox’s face real squishy. That being said, Marvel have now released some concept art as well as discussing the actual concept behind the suit’s design which has made me dislike it a tad bit less.
- And staying with Marvel leading men dressed in red… In news that should surprise nobody with a work cerebellum, Chris Pratt has confirmed that he will be reprising his role as Star-Lord in other Marvel movies outside of Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
“I’m tied to doing three more, or five more, Guardians of the Galaxy or whatever it is, you know, two more Guardians plus another couple.”
- Poster of the day: Animated Mad Max: Fury Road
- Let it never be said that quantity over quality isn’t a good thing. Just ask Eric Roberts, as he’s scheduled to act in over 50 film productions in 2015 alone! Who needs an Oscar, Julia?!
- The Cannes Film Festival is currently facing some serious heat and it has nothing to do with the weather on the French riviera. The Festival organizers have been receiving some severe backlash from fans and press as well as some of the more prominent movie stars in attendance, after a group of over-50 women were barred entry to one of the red carpet screenings because they were not wearing high-heeled shoes. Because apparently that’s more important than what you think of a movie.
- Tina Fey’s The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is not only a hilarious sitcom about a girl who escapes from a doomsday cult (yes, that can be funny), but it also has a brilliant intro sequence that takes the witness testimony of a character and turns it into an auto-tuned viral hit song, much like several we’ve seen over the years (this is still my favourite). Most importantly though, it also makes for a surprisingly good mashup with Mad Max: Fury Road!
- If your TV hasn’t been sucking enough lately, don’t worry, that will all change in just under two months time as FX has announced that the second season of Guillermo Del Toro’s apocalyptic vampire series The Strain will premiere on July 12th.
- Damn those Transformers movies! It’s bad enough that stupid Michael Bay ruined one of our favourite childhood cartoons, but now those stupid robots are ruining all my other favourite movies too!
- You may have noticed that The Flash TV series is awesome. Phil Lord and Chris Miller (The LEGO Movie, 21 Jump Street), who are making a live-action Flash feature film as part of DC’s movie universe starring Ezra Miller in the lead, have also noticed. They’re going to try to make their movie just as good, if not better, but they may have to do a few things different. Changing the identity of the Flash (as some suspected Miller would play the second Flash, Wally West) is not one of them.
“We’re trying to break a story. It’s interesting, because there’s a really popular TV show out there, and we’re trying to carve out space for the movie that’s apart from that. I think we’re doing alright. … I believe [our Flash] is going to be Barry Allen. … It’s going to be it’s own [thing, apart from the TV show] — we’re more trying to stick with the cinematic universe… it really is its own thing, and kind of a stand-alone movie. We’re just trying to think of the best story. I think you guys will like it, it’s kind of a different take on superhero stuff.”
- I’m a gigantic fan of the Wachowski’s work. Hell, I loved Speed Racer and even paid to go see Cloud Atlas twice using my own real money. But even I have to admit that Jupiter Ascending was a let-down. Sure it was visually spectacular and boasted some really cool action, but man, there were some stinky ideas in that movie. And this Honest Trailer will tell you all about them in the snarkiest way possible.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: May 20, 2015