Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Do you know what a showrunner is? No, it’s not the guy that runs around for the bigwigs on a TV show. Just the opposite, in fact, as a showrunner is generally the person on a TV show that oversees, well, everything. He/she may not write/direct every episode, but it’s his/her vision that drives the show. Think Joss Whedon on Buffy, Vince Gilligan on Breaking Bad, Franz Marx on Egoli (that last example is for Darryn’s benefit, as he’s from PE where Egoli is currently the height of televised entertainment). And now thanks to a new documentary, imaginatively titled Showrunners, we can finally see just how people like these go about doing their showrunning thing.
- Johnny Depp has his own personal island, and he may soon be visiting it more often to go drown his sorrows. Depp’s latest film, Transcendance, opened domestically this weekend past to a paltry $10.8 million and mostly rotten reviews. Rumour has it that the film, the directorial debut of Christopher Nolan’s longtime DP, Wally Pfister, could lose developer Alcon Entertainment up to $100 million. This would be the second major flop for Depp that ended up severely in the read, following last year’s The Lone Ranger which is estimated to have been a $115 million write-off for Disney. All of this leaving Deadline to wonder just What The Hell Happened?
- Hulk SMASH! Hulk also talk like old Hulk from TV. Yes, the original live-action green rage machine, Lou Ferrigno, has confirmed that he will be returning to provide the voice of Hulk in The Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Poster of the Day: Godzilla
- Thanks to this job, I have to watch a lot of movie trailers. This wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t for that fact that most movie trailers suck worse than a vampire with emphysema. I’m not the only person that noticed this suckage, leading to this video asking WTF Happened to Movie Trailers?
- Looks like director Len Wiseman will be taking some time out of his busy schedule of coming up with new ways to show off his wife, Kate Beckinsale, in tight leather pants, to helm a new sci-fi thriller, Black Chapter. Scripted by Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand), the film follows “an FBI agent drawn into a top secret military program in which spies train in paranormal abilities.”
Wiseman described the film as “a science fiction story that draws from our own history”, saying that he’s “always been fascinated by the mysteries surrounding the CIA’s astral projection program during its MK-ULTRA era. What if those experiments had actually worked? Would we even know?”
- Pajiba has listed 10 Reasons Why Community Improved in Season 5, and surprisingly, reasons 1 and 2 are not Annie’s bosom.
- Time to top up on your film geek trivia so that you can impress all your friends, land the hot cheerleader girl and become the prom king. Or just, you know, know more stuff. Said stuff coming courtesy of this new video pointing out 9 Facts About Pulp Fiction You Probably Didn’t Know.
- We still know next to nothing about Star Wars: Episode VII, but at least now we know how much that next to nothing will probably cost. Speaking to Bloomberg TV, Disney Chairman Alan Horn elaborated on an estimated price tag for highly anticipated film.
“We actually don’t even have the completed budget yet. But it will be in that range. These large, tent-pole kinds of movies, on the expensive side, are in the neighbourhood of $175-200m (£104-119m), that kind of a number – some are more, some are less.”
“We need to give the audience, essentially, a full meal in return for their affection and devotion and love for these properties. We don’t give budgets out. But it will be a big, tent-pole movie budget.”
- Two-time Oscar nominee and rather well known ginger Jessica Chastain will soon have to change her roots. Her hair roots, that is, as she’s apparently in talks to play iconic 1950’s actress and sex symbol Marilyn Monroe in writer-director Andrew Dominik’s long in development passion project Blonde.
- So there you are, just watching another episode of Game of Thrones, with your lovely parents by your side, enjoying all the political intrigue and duplicitous characters, when suddenly the scene shifts to Littlefinger’s brothel where a couple of nubile and completely naked young ladies are instructing another in the art of self pleasure. Cue your face instantly going redder than a baboon’s bottom, as you awkwardly try to avoid your parents’ gaze.
According to US cable network HBO, this scenario is one of several similarly embarrassing situations that could have been avoided had you subscribed to their HBO-GO services which allows you to watch your favourite shows any time you want – preferably when your parents around – and have made this set of hilarious ads to illustrate their point.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: April 24, 2014