Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- While there may not be anything like a fool proof plan, Michael Bay once again proved this weekend that there such a thing as review-proof movie. Despite earning a critical drubbing even more severe than the one deservedly received by the CGI lobotomy that is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the latest giant robo pic opened globally to a record breaking $301 million. Whether this is due to people actually loving the movie, or whether this is the car-crash rubber necking effect is of little consequence though, because as Bay told MTV, he really doesn’t care about your hatred.
- Wax on, director off, as The Crazies helmer Breck Eisner has exited The Karate Kid 2, the planned Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan starring sequel to the remake of the classic movie, due to schedule conflicts. The 2010 film was a surprising success, despite the fact that it should more accurately be call The Kung Fu Kid since they virtually no karate in it, and Eisner signed on to take over from Harald Zwart in April. No replacement director has been announced yet, though Sony has brought on screenwriting team Jeremiah Friedman and Nick Palmer – who also set to write The Bodyguard remake – to pen the script.
- Poster of the Day: Fight Club. Of all the Posters of the Day we’ve featured, this one may just be the coolest. If you don’t know what the big deal, tilt your monitor or move your head around while looking at it.
- Were you one of the three people getting excited about seeing Tom Cruise in Star Wars: Episode VII? Well then I’m to burst your rumour-bubble as Cruise has denied it all as bantha poodoo.
- And because every Monday needs some silly laughs (especially when it involves zombies eating people’s faces), here are 30 Hilarious Walking Dead Memes From Season Four.
- This infographic about women directors in the current studio system is a tad bit alarming.
- Looks like the production schedule on the next James Bond film may just have gotten slightly shaken and stirred, as the film’s production start date has reportedly been delayed by two months, from October to December. The reason for the delay? More jokes.
Although Skyfall scribe John Logan’s script was initially heard to be in good shape already, it’s rumoured that some “polite turmoil” has occurred after the Oscar winner’s script failed to thrill. Veteran Bond franchise writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade – who have penned five Bond movies together – were apparently brought in to “‘punch up’ the script and sprinkle in more gags, emphasising the witty repartee between Daniel Craig’s 007 and Naomie Harris’s Miss Moneypenny, and focusing on the interplay between Bond and Ralph Fiennes’s M.” Probably much to John Cleese’s delight, despite the fact that Purvis and Wade are responsible for arguably the most cringe-worthy scenes of the modern Bond era.
- Alright stop! Avengers: Age of Ultron set pics hammer time!
- What is rumoured to be a description of the very first teaser trailer for Batman v Superman: Revenge of the Stupid Title has apparently been leaked. The description actually sounds pretty legit, but I won’t post it here for fear of angering the spoiler-phobes. I will add though that it honestly reveals very little, even though it does sound kind of cool, and we will probably get to see it in a few weeks at San Diego Comic-Con.
- I’m sorry. It had to be done. It was inevitable.
- And you can also file this one under “B” for “Because it’s the internet, that’s why”: Yoda-Hulk meme collection!
- GREAT SCOTT! It’s the time-travelling crossover you never asked for, but which we know you secretly asked for: X-Men: Back to the Future Past!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: June 30, 2014