Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- If you think that Daniel Radcliffe’s talents only extend as far as riding a broom real well and knowing the proper enunciation of “Wingardium Leviosa!”, then you’re in for a quite a surprise. The Harry Potter star has a number of talents outside of just playing magical characters on-screen, life for example, his dope skills on the mic!
- Unless your eyeballs just shut down from the awesomeness overload, you probably noticed that there are a lot of different locations featured in that Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer. And that’s completely intentional, says writer-director Joss Whedon, who is currently stuck in Ohio busy with the film’s post-production to put together its astounding 3000 VFX shots – the most for any Marvel movie.
“We wanted the world perspective on The Avengers… [We shot] up in the Italian Alps. We were in Seoul, Korea. We were in Johannesburg. We shot a little in Bangladesh. Then all over England.”
“Weirdly, the whole film takes place in Cleveland.”
- The countdown to the first trailer for Furious 7 continues, and the movie’s social media pages (via JoBlo) has released a new Vine giving us a glimpse at its action, as well a few new pics, one of which shows Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson going toe to toe with Jason Statham. Yes, you read that right.
- Poster of the day: Donnie Darko
- American Horror Story: Freak Show is about to get legend-………. wait for it……….. wait for it…….. I hope you’re not lactose intolerent because the next part of the word is….-dary! Yes, Neil Patrick Harris will be joining the creepy show in a guest starring role for the last two episodes of the season. NPH is apparently such a big fan of the show that he wrote a letter to creator Ryan Murphy asking to be in it.
- Steven Spielberg is a busy man. A very busy man. And according to author Daniel H. Wilson that’s the reason why Spielberg’s adaptation of his sci-fi novel Robopocalypse has just been spinning its wheels for the last year or so.
“It’s basically in the queue as far as I know. You know, Spielberg has other movies that he’s directing right now. But Robopocalypse has certainly been worked on. I’m sure that Dreamworks is still very excited about it. That’s what all indications are. It’s just about being patient, you know? I think one of the films on Spielberg’s slate is The BFG, and that’s been floating around for about ten years! I don’t really know what a timeline is, but that’s certainly normal. So I’m just being patient and working on all my projects. It would be some wonderful bonus points if that ever comes together”
- Cats and I not friends (I’m seriously allergic to them), but the internet loves them. Like, really loves them. So of course somebody created a version of David Fincher’s Gone Girl using just cats!
- JJ Abrams has a new best friend and his name is Jacob T. Swinney. See Mr Swinney is actually a defender of the lens flare effect. Okay, yes, he’s just as unhappy about the overuse of it as the rest of it, but he’s produced this supercut of lens flare shots that makes a strong case that the effect can still be put to damn good use when in the right hands.
Lens flares seem to catch a bad rap. While some are simply a stylistic element (and some are even mistakes), there are plenty of thoughtful and symbolic uses of light scattering through the lens. Here is a compilation showcasing the many different types and uses of lens flares in a variety of films.
- It seems that Marvel’s Phase 3 lineup unveiling yesterday has done more than just set geeks frothing at the mouth. With movie now pegged to release dates, other studios who had previously picked the same dates suddenly find themselves up against a superhero box-office behemoth. And it looks like the first people who have decided that it would be better to just get the hell out of its way is Dreamworks Animation, who are considering rescheduling a couple of their upcoming animated flicks.
- Holy crap! Jason Bateman is going to direct and star in what looks to be an American version of Ip Man! I mean, I didn’t even know he did kung-fu, but hey if Keanu Reeves could do it, then I’m guessing…. Oh wait. My bad. Jason Bateman is actually going to direct and star in a movie called IPO Man, which is based on the true but ridiculous story of a man who found a novel way to make money by selling stock in himself – yes, himself – but ran into problems when his “majority shareholders” started demanding control of decisions in his life, like whether or not to get a vasectomy.
Yeah, that definitely sounds a whole lot more like a Jason Bateman movie than him playing a legendary kung fu master.
- It’s Halloween tomorrow, so naturally people are going to want to watch a scary movie. I have a feeling though that they may reconsider adding Saw on that list after watching this Honest Trailer for the “gore-no”.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: October 30, 2014