Matt Damon is being a tease again. It’s been 7 years since the actor, together with director Paul Greengrass, last brought Robert Ludlum’s amnesic badass to life in The Bourne Ultimatum, the final film in a fan- and critical-favourite trilogy. Since then talk about a fourth Jason Bourne movie has popped up and subsequently fizzled several times, especially in the light of the Jeremy Renner led franchise spinoff, The Bourne Legacy, proving successful enough to warrant new cinematic adventures of its own.
Damon has said several times that he’s done with the franchise… usually followed by him saying that he might be interested again. Which is exactly what he’s done again now, this time adding a little caveat, as he mentioned to CNBC.
“I’ve always been open to it if Paul Greengrass is the director. We’ve just never been able to come up with a story… It felt like such a good way to end it last time. Having said that, I love that character. I’d love to see what happened to him.”
There’s no doubt that fans would go crazy for Jason Bourne’s return, particularly if it involved a team-up/showdown with Renner’s Aaron Cross (it would be like The Avengers, but without the spandex and alien invasion). Hell, they could possibly even pull a Highlander: Endgame (but you know, as a good movie), and have Bourne perish in some way so as to truly handover the reins to the newcomer Cross.
Whatever happens, I am glad that Damon and co are first looking for a good reason to return to it, instead of just cashing in the franchise’s popularity.
Last Updated: May 6, 2014